OXFORD, Miss. – The Florida women’s tennis team could not overcome the loss of the doubles point Friday afternoon in its match with Mississippi and dropped a 4-3 decision to the Lady Rebels at the Palmer-Salloum Tennis Center.
Florida (9-6 overall, 3-2 SEC) managed just a victory at No. 2 doubles in dropping the doubles point to Mississippi (9-5, 2-3 SEC). Florida’s Marrit Boonstra and Joanna Mather beat Laura van de Stroet and Mimi Renaudin, 8-2, but the Gators couldn’t overcome losses at Nos. 1 and 3 doubles.
The Lady Rebels continued that momentum on the singles courts winning at Nos. 5 and 6 singles before Anastasia Revzina got Florida on the board with a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Karen Nijssen at No. 2 singles.
Freshman Joanna Mather followed with a 6-2, 6-3 victory over van de Stroet at No. 3 singles to close the team score to 3-2 in favor of the Lady Rebels. But Mississippi clinched the match when Gabriela Rangel beat Florida freshman Jessica Alexander at No. 4 singles, 2-6, 6-1, 6-2.
On the showcase court, Florida junior Marrit Boonstra won her 14th straight dual match, beat Mississippi’s Kristi Boxx, 6-1, 6-4.
Florida returns home for a Sunday afternoon match at 1 against Mississippi State in the Linder Stadium at Ring Tennis Complex.
MISSISSIPPI 4, FLORIDA 3
Palmer/Salloum Tennis Center/Oxford, Miss.
1. Karen Nijssen/Kristi Boxx (UM) def. Jessica Alexander/Anastasia Revzina, 8-1.
2. Marrit Boonstra/Joanna Mather (UF) def. Laura van de Stroet/Mimi Renaudin, 8-2.
3. Gabriela Rangel/Abigail Guthrie (UM) def. Brooke Allen/Lauren Wolken, 8-1.
1. Marrit Boonstra (UF) def. Kristi Boxx, 6-1, 6-4.
2. Anastasia Revzina (UF) def. Karen Nijssen, 6-3, 6-3.
3. Joanna Mather (UF) def. Laura van de Stroet, 6-2, 6-3.
4. Gabriela Rangel (UM) def. Jessica Alexander, 2-6, 6-1, 6-2.
5. Abigail Guthrie (UM) def. Brooke Allen, 6-2, 6-2.
6. Mimi Renaudin (UM) def. Lauren Wolken, 6-1, 6-1.
Order of finish: Doubles, 3, 1, 2; Singles, 6, 5, 2, 3, 4, 1.