Florida Gators head coach Dan Mullen spoke to the media at his weekly press conference on Monday to look ahead to a big matchup with the LSU Tigers this weekend. He talked about his expectations for the game, both from the fans and the team.
Here’s what he said:
• On this week’s blue out for LSU: “What we need to do is sellout The Swamp, pack it early and get that home field advantage.”
• “I want it to get back to the student body really dominating the environment.”
• The 2008 National Championship team will be honored this weekend. Mullen said that team had a ton of talent, but there are a lot of great teams that don’t learn how to win. That team knew how to win.
• The Gators got out of the game at Mississippi State injury-free.
• The trick touchdown play Saturday was named “Kodak” after the rapper Kodak Black.
• Mullen said there are a lot more trick plays in his back pocket for when the time comes.
• The scout team is giving better looks now after being challenged early on and practices are getting more physical.
• Mullen said Feleipe Franks has really grown in being able to understand the game plan more from week to week. He wants him to get better at reading his progressions and staying in the pocket.
• On the running backs: “It’s not the quantity of plays you play, it’s the quality you play with.”
• Mullen said Lamical Perine is an all-around running back.
• Freshman tight end Kyle Pitts is coming along and will be able to help the team by creating mismatches. “As the season goes on, you’re going to see him play more and more.”