With spring football around the corner, new Florida Gators defensive coordinator Todd Grantham and defensive line coach Sal Sunseri took the podium to address the media for the first time on Tuesday. They were the first in line for assistant coach press conferences that will take place over the next few weeks.
They discussed their early plans and thoughts for this season’s defense.
Here’s what they had to say:
Defensive Coordinator Todd Grantham
• Grantham doesn’t believe in using the same defense every season. He tries to formulate it based on what best fits his players.
• “We’re gonna find ways to get our best players on the field.”
• Dan Mullen is an offensive minded coach, but according to Grantham, he is very involved in defense as well, especially in the way he recruits.
• “I’m not really worried about what happened last year. I’m more worried about what’s gonna happen moving forward.”
• There will be a lot of competitions in practices between players, because there is a winner and loser in everything, and the coaches want guys to understand that.
• Grantham said the strength and conditioning phase is going to be crucial for the defense this season.
• “I really like the way our players approach the things we ask them to do.”
• He thinks his coaching experience in the NFL is an asset when it comes to developing players.
• “I’m gonna coach our players the same way I coached guys in the NFL.”
• The three words that describe what this coaching staff wants the defensive identity to be are fast, physical and aggressive.
• Cece Jefferson will play some outside linebacker as well as defensive end.
Defensive Line Coach Sal Sunseri
• Sunseri said these players are really understanding of the word “commitment”.
• “What Coach Mullen did at Mississippi State, I have a high respect for it.”
• He is really excited about the new strength and conditioning program. “I can see some bodies changing already.”
• The thing that’s stood out to Sunseri is how many guys can really move. He said it’s going to be fun making other teams block that speed.
• Sunseri learned a lot from his players while coaching in the NFL.
• He brought tape with him of the best pass rushers in the NFL and is having his players watch it in film study.