The Florida Gators played in their second intrasquad scrimmage of the week leading up to Friday’s 10 inning exhibition game against Georgia inside 121 Financial Ballpark. Today’s scrimmage was a three-inning game with Team Orange coming out on top 2-1.
CF Jalen Guy
3B Dale Thomas
2B Cade Kurland
LF Tyler Shelnut
DH/C Brody Donay
RF Hayden Yost
C/DH Tanner Garrison
1B Ashton Wilson
SS Armando Albert
SP: Alex Philpott (RHP)
RF Michael Robertson
SS Colby Shelton
C Luke Heyman
1B Jac Caglianone
DH Caden McDonald
CF Landon Russell
3B John Martinez
LF Blake Brookins
2B Sammy Mummau
SP: Jacob Gomberg
- Freshman LHP Jacob Gomberg made the start for team blue, who served as the home team in this contest. The Coral Springs native retired team orange in order to start the game. Several really nice defensive plays from team blue to start the game. SS Colby Shelton and CF Landon Russell covered a decent amount of ground on their put outs, while 3B John Martinez was able to knock down a frozen rope off the bat of Cade Kurland before firing the ball to Jac Caglianone to end the top of the first.
- Michael Robertson served as the leadoff batter for team blue for the second straight scrimmage. Robertson led off the scrimmage with a walk before coming around to score on a Caden McDonald RBI single through the left side of the field. Robertson walked twice in this scrimmage; he’s reached base in all four of his plate appearances across the last two scrimmages, including one hit and three walks.
- Team Orange’s starting pitcher Alex Philpott pitched one inning, allowing one run on one hit and two walks.
- RHP Grayson Smith was the next pitcher to step on the mound for team blue, recording a 1-2-3 inning with one strikeout in his first inning of work.
- RHP Reilly Witmer took the mound for team orange in the bottom of the second, recording a 1-2-3 inning while striking out all three batters.
- RHP Grayson Smith went back out in the top of the third for his second inning of work, immediately allowing a solo home run from catcher Tanner Garrison. Garrison recorded his second RBI in as many at bats across the last two scrimmages. After striking out the next two batters, CF Jaylen Guy kept the inning alive with a single through the left field. After a stolen base and a wild pitch, 3B Dale Thomas laced an RBI single up the middle, giving team Orange a 2-1 lead. Smith finished with 2.0 innings pitched, allowing 2 ER, 3 hits, and 3 strikeouts.
- RHP Fisher Jameson took over for team orange in attempt to close out the game. After walking Michael Robertson on four pitches, Jameson retired the next three batters, including strikeouts against Luke Heyman and Jac Caglianone.
- Jaylen Guy, Dale Thomas, Caden McDonald, and Tanner Garrison recorded hits in the scrimmage.
- Transfer Colby Shelton seems to have found a home at shortstop. There was some chatter about which position he would play, but he seems to be comfortable at shortstop.
- Transfer catcher Tanner Garrison continues to impress me both at the plate and at catcher. He seems to be very comfortable in the box while having a good approach. I think he’s Florida’s starting catcher.
- Michael Robertson has played both left and right field in the last two scrimmages, but not center field. That is something to keep an eye on moving forward.
- Reilly Witmer was terrific in today’s scrimmage. He struck out all three batters with a fastball that team blue just couldn’t catch up to. He allowed one run and one hit during Tuesday’s scrimmage, but Michael Robertson should have came down with the leadoff double from Tyler Shelnut, who later came around to score.
- Transfer Jaylen Guy has a ton of speed and seems to be an above average defender. He recorded a stolen base in today’s scrimmage after a great jump, leading to a no throw by catcher Luke Heyman.
Gator Country will be live at Florida’s 10 inning exhibition with the Georgia Bulldogs tomorrow night at 6:30 PM EST.