Special report on the Florida Gators gymnastics team:
GAINESVILLE, Fla. – University of Florida sophomore Trinity Thomas is among the final four candidates for gymnastics’ Honda Award. The Honda Award goes to the top collegiate female athlete in 12 different sports each season.
The nation’s only gymnast to earn 10.0 in three different events in 2020, Thomas claimed the maximum of five All-America honors for the 2020 season.
|2020 Honda Award Nominees (Gymnastics)
Maggie Nichols Oklahoma
Lexy Ramler Minnesota
Kyla Ross UCLA
Trinity Thomas Florida
Here’s Thomas’ 2020 season highlights:
AS A SOPHOMORE (2020):
· All-America first-team for all-around, uneven bars, balance beam and floor exercise and second-team for vault in the Women’s Collegiate Gymnastics Association (WCGA) regular-season awards – one of three in nation to claim five honors
· Set collegiate all-around best (39.825) to win title at Georgia. Nation’s third-highest total of 2020 and equals Florida record
· Only 2020 gymnast with a 10.0 in three different events:
- 14th Gator to earn a 10.0 with winning mark in LSU dual uneven bars competition
- 10.0 on balance beam versus Denver & Iowa State. Beam 10.0 again in next meet at Auburn
- 10.0 won floor exercise at Penn State. All-arounder in every meet. Owns four of 2020’s top seven all-around totals (No. T3: 39.825; No.T7: 39.775 3x)
· Final Road to Nationals event rankings: No. 1 floor exercise (9.965 NQS), No. 2 all-around (39.75), No. T2 balance beam (9.965), No. T4 uneven bars (9.945), No. 14 vault (9.90)
· Led Gators with 28 event wins in 2020 – eight all-around, floor, six bars, five beam, one vault. Won final seven all-around competitions of 2020.
· Eight SEC Gymnast of the Week accolades is most in a single season in the honor’s 21-year history
· Earned fourth consecutive U.S. Senior National Team spot at 2019 U.S. Championships. One of eight gymnasts since 1987 to earn a U.S. Senior National Team spot after competing earlier at that season’s NCAA Championships.
· SEC Academic Honor Roll
About the Award:
The Honda Sports Award is presented annually by the CWSA to the top women athletes in 12 NCAA- sanctioned sports and signifies “the best of the best in collegiate athletics”. The winner of the sport award becomes a finalist for the Collegiate Woman Athlete of the Year and the prestigious 2020 Honda Cup. The nominees were chosen by a group of experts representing the Women’s Collegiate Gymnastics Association (WCGA).
The CWSA presents the Honda Sports Award annually to top women student-athletes in 12 NCAA-sanctioned sports. Honda Sports award winners will be presented with the honor during on-campus presentations throughout the year and all Honda Sports award winners become a finalist for the prestigious 2020 Honda Cup award. The Cup is presented on a live televised broadcast from Los Angeles on June 22.
This is the 45th season the Collegiate Women Sports Awards has honored the nation’s top NCAA women athletes, recognizing superior athletic skills, leadership, academic excellence and eagerness to participate in community service. Since commencing its sponsorship in 1986, Honda has provided more than $3 million in institutional grants to the universities of the award winners and nominees to support women’s athletics programs at the institutions.