Dan Mullen has named his new defenisve line coach.
David Turner will be named the Gators’ next defensive line coach, leaving the University of Texas at San Antonio where he held the same position.
“David is a great addition to our coaching staff and the Gators football family,” Mullen said. “We spent some time together at Mississippi State and he has produced numerous first-round picks in the NFL over this 30-plus years of coaching. Having spent 16 years in the SEC, he understands that this is a line of scrimmage league and our defensive line will continue to play fast, physical and aggressive under his leadership.”
Turner has been coaching for more than three decades and has a wealth of experience both coaching and recruiting in the SEC. Turner coached No. 1 overall pick Myles Garrett when he was at Texas A&M, he coached Fletcher Cox at Mississippi State and many other future NFL defensive linemen (listed below). Turner has spent 14 seasons total at SEC Schools (listed below).
There is familiarity between Turner and Mullen. Turner coached at Mississippi State on two occasions. First he coached defensive linemen from 2007-09 and then returned to Starkville in the same role from 2013-15.
Turner will replace Sal Sunseri who left Florida to join the Alabama staff in his same role.
UPDATE: Turner changed his Twitter profile on Sunday and tweeted a goodbye to his UTSA players and coaches.
Just a heartfelt Thank you to all RoadRunners! Leaving is hard! I was blessed to have the opportunity to coach a great group of guys, who will be the leaders in 2019! That group did everything I asked them to and I’m grateful to them for that! #TheBestDLinCUSA
— David W. Turner (@coachdt48) January 27, 2019
• 2018-present: UTSA, assistant coach/defensive line
• 2016-17: Texas A&M, defensive run game coordinator/defensive tackles
• 2013-15: Mississippi State, assistant coach/defensive line
• 2010-12: Kentucky, assistant coach/defensive line
• 2007-09: Mississippi State, assistant coach/defensive line
• 2006: Alabama, assistant coach/defensive ends
• 2002-05: Vanderbilt, assistant coach/defensive line
• 2001: Minnesota, assistant coach/defensive ends
• 1997-2000: Virginia, assistant coach/defensive tackles/linebackers
• 1995-96: North Carolina State, assistant coach/defensive ends/linebackers
• 1993-94: Kentucky, assistant coach/defensive ends
• 1991-92: James Madison, assistant coach
• 1990: Indiana (Pennsylvania), assistant coach/defensive line
• 1988-89: North Carolina State, graduate assistant/defense
• 1986-87: Davidson, assistant coach/running backs/tight ends
Prominent Players Coached
• Josh Boyd, DE
• Fletcher Cox, DT
• Myles Garrett, DE
• Jovan Haye, DL
• Kyle Love, DT
• Pernell McPhee, LB
• Preston Smith, LB