Florida Gators head coach Jim McElwain took to the podium on Wednesday afternoon to give everyone an update on the team with less than two weeks to go until they take the field against Michigan.
McElwain discussed how the Gators did in last Friday’s scrimmage, plus how the team has reacted since the scrimmage.
The Gators head coach also broke down the latest injuries for the Gators and much more at his press conference.
GatorCountry brings you a quick notebook on what McElwain had to say on Wednesday afternoon.
- McElwain says the Gators aren’t ready to name a starting quarterback yet. He wants to the guys go through some more practices before that happens. Says the competition has brought a lot of things out the guys so far.
- Friday’s scrimmage was a productive one as the Gators went over the number of plays they had expected to take in the scrimmage.
- The young defensive back group stepped up in the scrimmage. McElwain mentioned Marco Wilson, Donovan Stiner and Shawn Davis as guys who will play this year.
- Dre Massey had a good scrimmage according to McElwain as he says the receiver had several explosive plays in the scrimmage.
- J. Slaton and Elijah Conliffe are guys that will play as the season moves on at defensive tackle.
- Martez Ivey is good to go but McElwain says the Gators will be cautious with his knee going forward.
- Kemore Gamble is still out with a foot injury and is going to get looked at again.
- Quincy Lenton is back as is Jordan Sherit. Kylan Johnson and C.J. McWilliams are both currently out due to injury.
- Safety Jeawon Taylor is someone that is going to play on Saturday’s at safety according to McElwain.
- McElwain says 8-9 receivers are ready to play this year including several freshmen.
- The two freshmen running backs are both going to play this year. They will have a role on special teams.
- Mac says he’s comfortable with Eddy Pineiro from 58-yards and depending on the situation maybe even longer.