GAINESVILLE, Fla. – No. 4 Florida captured its eighth Southeastern Conference series with a 4-0 victory over Texas A&M Saturday afternoon at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium. UF is the only program to have won all eight of its SEC series in 2021.
The Gators (39-8, 18-5 SEC) picked up a complete-game gem from senior right-handed pitcher Natalie Lugo (14-2). Lugo’s complete-game shutout to defeat the Aggies (31-19, 8-15 SEC) was her second against an SEC opponent.
The West Covina, Calif. went the distance for the fourth overall time this season and allowed only four hits and one walk, while she also dealt four strikeouts.
Lugo received support from the offense in the form of a trio of home runs from Charla Echols, Cheyenne Lindsey and Hannah Adams.
Echols followed up her walk-off three-run home run with a two-run home run in the in the bottom of the 3rd inning to open the scoring. The Newnan, Ga. native drove home Kendyl Lindaman, who reached in the previous at-bat via a walk.
Florida went on to get insurance runs in the form of back-to-back solo homers from Lindsey and Adams with two outs in the bottom of the 6th inning.
The Gators and the Aggies will close out the series Sunday at 12 p.m. on the SEC Network. With one game remaining in SEC play, the Gators are in search of a share of the SEC Regular Season Championship, which would be the program’s ninth overall.
- The Gators hold a 23-5 record all-time against Texas A&M and have won 19 of the last 21 meetings.
- Florida is now 8-for-8 in Southeastern Conference series this season and it’s the first time that the program has won all eight conference series since the 2017 season.
- Natalie Lugo hurled her second complete-game shutout of an SEC opponent in today’s win.
- Charla Echols turned in her 14th multi-hit game and 13th multi-RBI game of the season.
- Cheyenne Lindsey and Emily Wilkie also turned in multi-hit performances today.
- It’s the 13th multi-hit game for Lindsey and the third for Wilkie this season.
- Echols and Hannah Adams extended their reached base streaks to 29 games and 32 games respectively.
- Adams is now on a four-game hit streak.
- The Gators three home runs in today’s game against the Aggies is only the second game this season that program achieved the feat.
- Florida smashed three April 24 against South Carolina.
- Kendyl Lindaman tied her season-high with three walks today against the Aggies.
- She drew three walks March 31 at Jacksonville.