Special report on the Florida Gators volleyball team:
GAINESVILLE, Fla. – The fall portion of the 2020 volleyball schedule has been set by the Southeastern Conference, as the league announced Tuesday.
Last month, the SEC announced the fall format would include eight matches against four opponents. Those eight matches will be played as double-headers, consisting of two home weekends and two away weekends.
The Gators are slated to make their 2020 debut at Auburn on Wednesday, Oct. 21 at 8 p.m. ET. Florida then returns to action against the Tigers on Thursday, Oct. 22 at 8 p.m. ET in Auburn Arena.
The following week, the Crimson Tide head to Exactech Arena at the Stephen C. O’Connell Center for the Gators’ home opening weekend on Friday, Oct. 30 and Saturday, Oct. 31. Friday’s first serve is set for a 7 p.m. start, while Saturday’s matchup time is TBD.
After a bye weekend on Nov. 6-8, Florida travels to South Carolina for matches on Wednesday, Nov. 11 and Thursday, Nov. 12. Wednesday’s match will start at 8 p.m. and Thursday’s first serve is TBD.
To wrap up the fall portion of the schedule, Florida hosts Georgia on Friday, Nov. 20 and Saturday, Nov. 21. Friday’s matchup is set for a 7 p.m. start, with Saturday’s match time will be determined at a later date.
Details on fan capacity will also be determined at a later date.
Fall 2020 Schedule
|Day||Opponent||Start Time (ET)|
|Weekend of Oct. 16-18||BYE|
|Wednesday, Oct. 21||at Auburn||8:00 p.m.|
|Thursday, Oct. 22||at Auburn||8:00 p.m.|
|FRIDAY, OCT. 30||ALABAMA||7:00 p.m.|
|SATURDAY, OCT. 31||ALABAMA||TBD|
|Weekend of Nov. 6-8||BYE|
|Wednesday, Nov. 11||at South Carolina||8:00 p.m.|
|Thursday, Nov. 12||at South Carolina||TBD|
|FRIDAY, NOV. 20||GEORGIA||7:00 p.m.|
|SATURDAY, NOV. 21||GEORGIA||TBD|
|Week of Nov. 23-27||MAKEUP WEEK|
BOLD CAPS INDICATE HOME MATCHUP
- The Gators hold a distinct series advantage over each of the four opponents they face this season:
- Florida is 49-2 overall against the Auburn Tigers, including 45-1 under the helm of Mary Wise
- The Gators hold an undefeated record against Alabama with 47 wins, including a 45-0 record under Wise
- Florida is 58-7 overall against South Carolina, including a 52-2 record under Wise
- UF is 66-9 against Georgia in program history, with Wise holding a 63-1 record
COVID-19 Commitments to Student-Athletes:
- The SEC announced in July that student-athletes in all sports who elect to not participate in intercollegiate athletics during the fall 2020 academic semester because of health and/or safety concerns related to COVID-19 will continue to have their scholarships honored by their university and will remain in good standing with their team.
- The SEC’s Return to Activity and Medical Guidance Task Force continues to meet on policies and procedures for the safe return of student-athletes to competition, building on the NCAA’s Resocialization of College Sports Guidelines.
- The NCAA announced its intention to hold 2020 fall championships in spring 2021. Dates and tournament bracket formats are to be revealed. A blanket waiver gives all fall sport student-athletes an additional year of eligibility and an additional year in which to complete it.