Special report on the Florida Gators softball team:
College Station, Texas – No. 6 Florida picked up the series sweep of Texas A&M behind a 4-1 victory in the series finale Sunday afternoon at Davis Diamond.
The Gators (36-9, 9-6 SEC) picked up a complete-game performance from senior right-hander Kelly Barnhill (24-5) in the circle. The Marietta, Ga. native carried a no-hitter in the bottom of the seventh inning and it wasn’t until then that the Aggies (25-18, 3-12 SEC) were also able to score a run.
UF scored first in the third inning of play and took a 4-0 lead over Texas A&M thanks to a two-out rally that was started by Hannah Sipos and Amanda Lorenz. Lorenz produced an RBI double to right center that scored Sipos to start the rally and it was capped by a two-run home run by junior Jordan Roberts.
Offensively, Lorenz and Hannah Sipos turned in multi-hit performances for the Gators, while Roberts led the team with a pair of RBI.
How It Happened – Texas A&M – W, 4-1
|T–3rd||1-0||Lorenz broke open the scoring with an RBI double off the wall in right center field that scored Hannah Sipos from second. Sipos reached earlier in the frame with a double.|
|T–3rd||2-0||Lindaman drove home Lorenz in the next at-bat with an RBI single to left field.|
|T–3rd||4-0||Roberts capped the scoring with a two-run home run over the wall in left center field that scored Lindaman from first.|
|B–7th||4-1||With runners on first and third and no outs, the Aggies scored their lone run of the game during a double play that Sophia Reynosoturned from second to first.|
- Sipos accounted for her third straight multi-hit game of the season after she went 2-for-3 with a run scored in today’s game.
- Overall, Sipos hit a team leading .636 (7-for-11) on the week with a double and home run along with three RBI and two runs scored.
- Florida is now 21-5 all-time against Texas A&M and 9-3 when playing in College Station.
- UF has now won nine of the last 10 meetings with Texas A&M.
- Barnhill picked up her 24th victory of the season. She entered today’s game ranked second in the nation in the category.
- Roberts belted her first home since March 29, at Ole Miss and now has seven on the season.
- She is now one shy of tying her season-high of eight that she produced during her freshman campaign in 2017.
The Gators travel to Tallahassee, Fla. to take on No. 3 Florida State this Wednesday at 7 p.m. on ESPN2.