Special report on the Florida Gators softball team:
TEMPE, Ariz. – The fourth-ranked Florida softball team picked up a pair of wins on the first day of the Littlewood Classic with decisions over Illinois State, 2-1, and host No. 14 Arizona State, 7-2.
In the nightcap against the Sun Devils (5-2), seniors Kelly Barnhill (5-0) and Amanda Lorenz help lead the Gators (8-0) to the road victory. Lorenz notched a pair of solo home runs in key moments, while Barnhill tallied a season-high 14 strikeouts in the complete-game effort.
It was a tight game through the first four innings, but UF broke the game open against ASU in the fifth with a four-run frame that included a solo home run from Hannah Adams, a bases loaded walk and a pair of RBI hit-by-pitches.
In the first game of the Littlewood Classic against the Redbirds (0-8), sophomore Natalie Lugo (3-0) worked a perfect 5.0 innings from the circle, but eventually relinquished a leadoff walk and a double in the sixth that led to Illinois State’s only run of the game. Lugo tied her season-high with six strikeouts in the outing.
Barnhill entered in the seventh to secure her third save of the year and seventh of her career.
How It Happened – Illinois State– W, 2-1
|Bottom 2nd||1-0||Sophia Reynoso plated the Gators first run of the game after she was hit by a low and inside 1-1 pitch. Jordan Roberts scored on the play.|
|Bottom 2nd||2-0||Hannah Sipos drove in the second run on a slow groundout shortstop, which gave a speedy Jaimie Hoover time to score from third.|
|Top 6th||2-1||The Redbirds were able to finally manufacture a run with a leadoff walk, a SAC bunt and a double down the left field line.|
How It Happened – No. 14/16 Arizona State – W, 7-2
|Top 1st||1-0||Leadoff batter, Amanda Lorenzcranked her first home run of the season after she sent the 2-2 from ASU pitcher Abby Andersen over the right center field wall.|
|Bottom 1st||1-1||The Sun Devils answered with a solo home run of their own from leadoff batter Kindra Hackbarth.|
|Top 2nd||2-1||Reynoso gave the Gators back the lead after she forced ASU catcher to commit an error on a throw back to the bag at third. Romanello set up the play with her single through the right side of the infield with two outs.|
|Bottom 3rd||2-2||ASU scratched across a run via a double off the left field will that allowed Hackbarth to score.|
|Top 4th||3-2||Lorenz belted her second home run of the game to break the 2-2 tie with the Sun Devils.|
|Top 5th||4-2||Adams extended the 3-2 lead with a line-drive solo home run over the center field wall. It was the Gators|
|Top 5th||5-2||With the bases loaded, Lorenz drew her third walk of the day, second of the game, and scored Alex Voss|
|Top 5th||6-2||Another run scored for the Gators in the next at-bat as Jordan Matthews took a 1-2 pitch off the hands to score Reynoso.|
|Top 5th||7-2||Immediately after Matthews’ hit-by-pitch, Kendyl Lindaman was hit on the first offering which scored Sipos.|
- Lorenz’s two home runs against Arizona State is the first time a Gator has hit a pair in a game since Nicole DeWitt did it against No. 7 Tennessee (May 11, 2018).
- Senior pitcher Kelly Barnhill surpassed Stacey Stevens (74-42) and is now fourth all-time in career victories at UF after she picked up the decision against No. 14/16 Arizona State.
- Stacey Nelson (136-36) – 2006-’09
- Hannah Rogers (127-31) – 2011-’14
- Stephanie Brombacher (97-11) – 2008-’11
- Kelly Barnhill (75-8) – 2016-’19
- Barnhill also picked up her third save of the season in the game against Illinois State and sits tied fifth all-time at UF with seven career saves alongside Amanda Knowles (2002-’05) and Aleshia Ocasio (2015-’18)
- Lorenz also drew three walks through the pair of games today and now sits with 183 in her career at UF and is just three walks shy of tying Kayli Kvistad’sUF career record of 186.
- Tonight’s win over No. 14/16 Arizona State is the Gators third win over a Top 25 this season.
The Gators continue action at the Littlewood Classic Saturday against San Diego at 1:30 PM (ET) and Utah State at 6:30 PM (ET).