Special report on the Florida Gators softball team:
GAINESVILLE, Fla. – The No. 3 Gators picked up a pair of wins on the first day of the Bubly Invitational with decisions over Illinois State, 7-0, and Florida A&M, 4-0, at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.
In the first game against the Redbirds (1-11), senior Kelly Barnhill’s (7-0) solid performance in the circle led the Gators (14-0) to a strong start on day one of the Bubly Invitational.
Barnhill struck out 10 batters and gave up two hits over 5.0 innings. She gave up no runs and walked no batters. Danni Farleythrew the final 2.0 innings of the game striking out two and giving up one hit.
The offense did its job against the Redbirds scoring seven runs on 10 hits to give Barnhill enough insurance to win the game.
The nightcap against the Rattlers (1-8) was a different story for the Gators as runs came at a premium for both teams.
Defensively, the Gators were led by another pair of brilliant performances in the circle from Natalie Lugo (5-0) and Elizabeth Hightower. Hightower started the game and went 2.0 innings giving up three hits and striking out one. Lugo, who earned the win, relieved Hightower and struck out nine and allowed three hits while walking one.
Amanda Lorenz put the game away in the sixth inning with a three-run homerun over the right field fence that cleared the right field wall and exterior fence of the park.
Overall, two shutouts to start the Bubly Invitational is huge for Tim Walton‘s undefeated crew.
How It Happened – Illinois State- W, 7-0
|B-1st||1-0||After a one-out Jordan Mathews walk, the Gators loaded the bases for Hannah Adams who singled to left field and scored Matthews.|
|B-1st||3-0||Immediately following Adams, Hannah Sipos doubled to left-center field which plated Jordan Roberts and Kendyl Lindaman to extend the early lead.|
|B-3rd||4-0||The Gators loaded the bases early in the third, and Alex Voss made the Redbirds pay after an RBI single up the middle scored Roberts.|
|B-3rd||5-0||The next batter Sophia Reynosowas hit by a pitch, which allowed Lily Mann to walk in for another Gators run.|
|B-3rd||6-0||After Reynoso’s at-bat, Amanda Lorenz was plunked by a pitch with the bases still loaded which scored Hannah Sipos.|
|B-3rd||7-0||Another free base for the Gators via a Matthews walk scored another run as Voss walked home to extend the lead to 7-0.|
How It Happened – Florida A&M- W, 4-0
|B-3rd||1-0||After a scoreless two and a half innings, Jamie Hoover broke the deadlock driving a ball to left field that scored Amanda Lorenz for the first run of the game.|
|B-6th||4-0||Lorenz turned on a 1-0 pitch and sent a moonshot over Museum Rd. that also brought home Amanda Beane and Voss to put the game away.|
- Kelly Barnhill has thrown three games with 10 or more strikeouts this season:
- Feb. 10 – at USF (10 K’s)
- Feb. 15 – at Arizona State (14 K’s)
- Feb. 22 – vs Illinois State (10 K’s)
- The Gators improved to 13-2 historically against Illinois State and have won their last 13 meetings with the Redbirds.
- Florida now holds a 19-0 all-time record against Florida A&M.
- UF is now 10-0 this season when playing in a doubleheader.
- Barnhill has thrown a season-high 13.2 straight innings of scoreless softball.
- Kendyl Lindaman has reached base safely in 13 straight games.
- Lindaman has also recorded a hit 12 of the 14 games played this season.
- Amanda Lorenz has reached base safely in 10 straight games.
- Lorenz tied Kayli Kvistad’s school walks record of 186 after she drew one against Illinois State and two against Florida A&M.
- The eight walks recorded by the Gators against Illinois State in the first game of the day is the most this season.
The Gators continue action at the Bubly Invitational tomorrow at 11 a.m. against Illinois State and 1:30 p.m. against Syracuse.