Special report on the Florida Gators softball team:
GAINESVILLE, Fla. – No. 8 Florida defeated No. 14 Arkansas, 3-0, on Friday night at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.
Behind a few timely hits and a dominant performance in the circle from Kelly Barnhill (20-5), the Gators (30-9, 4-6 SEC) earned their 10th win against a top-25 opponent in the first game of a three-game series with the Razorbacks (26-12, 6-7 SEC).
Offensively, the Gators were mostly stifled by a strong performance from Razorbacks’ starter Autumn Storms (14-4). However, Florida took advantage of two errors in the second and fourth innings to get three runs across the plate.
Barnhill went the distance for her 14th complete-game and her sixth shutout this season. She was untouchable for the majority of the evening, striking out seven while allowing no walks and only three hits.
How It Happened – No. 14 Arkansas – W, 3-0
|B-2nd||1-0||The Gators struck first in the second inning with two outs when a Jaimie Hoover single was misplayed by the Razorbacks, allowing Lily Mann to score from second base.|
|B-4th||3-0||With the bases loaded and no outs, the Gators extended their lead to three runs when Hannah Adams hit a ball back to the pitcher, who sailed it over the catcher’s head to allow two Gators to score.|
- Kelly Barnhill struck out seven batters tonight, giving her 210 strikeouts on the year, an NCAA best.
- This is Barnhill’s 17th appearance this season with at least seven strikeouts.
- Florida improved to 48-11 historically over Arkansas with a 25-5 record at home.
- The Gators are on a 28-game win streak over the Razorbacks, outscoring the opposition 183-23 in that time.
- UF improved its record against the top-25 to 10-9.
- Kendyl Lindaman has reached base safely in 38-straight games.
- The only game she did not reach base safely was the season opener against Illinois State on Feb. 8, 2019.
The No. 8 Gators are back in action with their second game against the No. 14 Razorbacks tomorrow at 6 p.m. at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.