Special report on the Florida Gators softball team:
GAINESVILLE, Fla. – No. 8 Florida defeated No. 14 Arkansas, 8-0 in five innings, on Saturday night at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.
Thanks to a strong performance in the circle from Elizabeth Hightower (2-0) and a great day at the plate, the Gators (31-9, 5-6 SEC) downed the Razorbacks (26-13, 6-8 SEC) to win the series and secure a second-straight shutout.
Eight Florida batters recorded at least one hit, while Kendyl Lindaman (3-for-3) and Amanda Lorenz (2-for-2) had multiple hits on the night. Lindaman and Lorenz combined to score four runs and drive in another four.
The Gators hit three home runs with Lindaman, Lorenz and Jaimie Hoover (1-for-2) all getting in on the action. This is the team’s eighth game this season with at least three home runs.
Hightower threw all five innings, her first complete-game shutout of her career, while striking out six and allowing only three hits and two walks.
How It Happened – No. 14 Arkansas – W, 8-0 (Five Innings)
|B-1st||3-0||Lindaman opened up the scoring for the Gators with a three-run shot to left field, scoring Amanda Lorenz and Jade Caraway, for her 13th home run of the season.|
|B-2nd||4-0||With no one on and two outs, Lorenz belted a home run, her first in almost a month, to right field to extend the Gators’ lead to four runs.|
|B-3rd||5-0||Hoover joined in on the fun with her fifth home run of the season, this one a deep drive to left field that hit the top of the batting cage.|
|B-4th||6-0||The Gators continued to make noise at the plate, this time rallying to score two runs in the fourth. The first of those runs coming off of a wild pitch that allow Hannah Sipos to score.|
|B-4th||7-0||With two on and two outs, Jordan Roberts singled through to left field and drove in Lorenz in the process.|
|B-5th||8-0||With the bases loaded and no outs, pinch-hitter Jordan Matthews hit a drive to center field to score Hannah Adams and end the game for the Gators.|
- Florida has hit at least three home runs in eight games this season.
- Today’s game marks the third time the Gators have hit at least three home runs in a game against a top-25 opponent.
- Florida improved to 49-11 historically over Arkansas with a 26-5 record at home.
- The Gators are on a 29-game win streak over the Razorbacks, outscoring the opposition 191-23 in that time.
- UF improved its record against the top-25 to 11-9 and 3-3 when playing on television.
- Tonight was Hightower’s first complete-game shutout of the season and first shutout against a top-25 opponent.
- It’s also the team’s fifth shutout against a top-25 team.
- Lindaman has reached base safely in 39-straight games.
- The only game she did not reach base safely was the season opener against Illinois State on Feb. 8, 2019.
- Lindaman now has 12 multi-hit games, as well as 12 multi-RBI games.
- This is her ninth game with at least three RBI.
- Lorenz leads the team in multi-hit games with 14 this season.
- The Gators’ four drawn walks tonight is the most allowed by Arkansas this season
- Tonight marks UF’s fifth walk off/game-ending hit of the season, with this one being its first in a five-inning game.
The No. 8 Gators wrap up their three-game series with the No. 14 Razorbacks tomorrow at 1 p.m. at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium. The game will be televised on ESPN2.