Special report on the Florida Gators softball team:
GAINESVILLE, Fla. – No. 6 Florida defeated USF, 1-0, on Wednesday night at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.
Tonight’s game showcased a pitchers’ duel between Kelly Barnhill (22-5) and South Florida’s Georgina Corrick (16-3) with both pitchers allowing one hit apiece. Both Barnhill and Corrick came into tonight’s matchup with a sub-1.5 ERA and each of them delivered a phenomenal performance in the circle.
It took until the sixth inning for either team to score when a clutch SAC fly from Sophia Reynoso drove in Cheyenne Lindsey to the give the Gators (33-9) all the run support they needed to earn their second victory over the Bulls (29-15) this season.
Barnhill continued her impressive streak of appearances with a complete-game shutout as she allowed one hit and two walks while striking out 11 over seven innings.
Tonight marks Barnhill’s fifth straight complete game. During that streak, she’s only allowed five runs and struck out 40 in 34.0 innings pitched.
How It Happened – USF – W, 1-0
|B-6th||1-0||After loading the bases with one out, the Gators took the lead late via a deep SAC fly to center field by Sophia Reynoso which scored Cheyenne Lindsey. Lindsey broke up the no-hitter with a hard line drive to third to leadoff the inning.|
- Kelly Barnhill has 17 starts in which she has given up one or zero runs this season.
- In those starts, she has compiled 142 strikeouts and allowed 34 hits over 96.2 innings pitched.
- Florida improved to 49-13 historically over USF with a 24-9 record at home.
- The Gators are 2-0 over the Bulls this season, outscoring them 8-1 in the two matchups.
- Kendyl Lindaman has reached base safely in 41-straight games.
- The only game she did not reach base safely was the season opener against Illinois State on Feb. 8, 2019.
- UF improved to 5-3 when playing on television.
- Florida hasn’t allowed more than three runs in 12 of its last 13 games.
- During that span, the Gators have outscored opponents 63-24 have a 9-4 record.
- Barnhill has struck out 10-plus batters in seven games this season, a team-high.
- Her scoreless innings streak improves to 13.0 innings.
- Tonight marks the fourth one-hitter pitched by UF this season.
- Barnhill has been involved in all four of those games.
- The Gators improve to 8-1 in one-run games this season.
The No. 6 Gators travel to Texas A&M for a three-game series with the Aggies beginning on Friday at 7 p.m. (ET).