Special report on the Florida Gators softball team:
GAINESVILLE, Fla. – No. 6 Florida opened the series against Texas A&M with an 8-6 win at Davis Diamond Friday night.
The Gators (34-9, 7-6 SEC) scored seven runs in the top of the first and withstood a five run fourth inning rally by the Aggies (23-8, 3-10 SEC) to take the first game of the series.
Freshman Hannah Sipos stepped up and went 3-for-4 at the plate with a pair of RBI, a run and hit her first collegiate home run. Jade Caraway and Jordan Roberts each chipped in 2-for-4 performances, while eight different Gators scored a run in the effort.
Kelly Barnhill (23-5) picked up the complete game victory in the circle for the Gators as she struck out six in the effort. Kayla Poynter (4-6) received the loss and lasted only a third of an inning.
How It Happened – Texas A&M – W, 8-6
|T–1st||1-0||With the bases loaded, Roberts ripped an RBI single to right field that scored Lorenz from third.|
|T–1st||2-0||Adams droves in Lindaman from third after Aggies second baseman Kayla Grace mishandled a grounder headed up the middle of the infield.|
|T–1st||3-0||With the bases still loaded, Hoover plated Reynoso after she drew a full-count walk.|
|T–1st||4-0||Voss extended the lead with an RBI single to shallow left field that scored Roberts from third and prompted a pitching change from the Aggies.|
|T–1st||5-0||Sipos kept the rally going in the first after she plated Adams with an RBI single to left field|
|T–1st||6-0||Caraway drove home Hoover on a groundout between third base and shortstop.|
|T–1st||7-0||Lindaman pushed across the final run of the inning when she drew a walk after 14 pitches. Voss scored on the play.|
|B–4th||7-1||The Aggies picked up their first run of the game via a bases loaded hit-by-pitch by Dani Elder that scored Blake-Ann Fritsch.|
|B–4th||7-2||Haley Lee dropped in a bloop single past the outstretched arms of Adams on the edge of the infield to score Baylee Klingler for Texas A&M’s second run.|
|B–4th||7-3||With the bases loaded, Kayla Garcia trimmed down the Florida lead with a one out single to right field.|
|B–4th||7-4||The Texas A&M rally continued with a single to right field by Morgan Smith.|
|B–4th||7-5||Kelbi Fortenberry closed down the Florida lead with a shallow single to center field that scored Lee from third.|
|T–5th||8-5||Sipos lifted the 2-2 pitch from Mayo over the wall down the left field line for her first career home run.|
|B–6th||8-6||Klingler drove in the Aggies sixth run of the game with a short RBI single to right field that allowed Fortenberry to score.|
- The seven runs scored by the Gators in the first inning against the Aggies are the most runs scored in the first inning of a game this season and second most runs scored in any inning this year.
- UF plated 10 runs in the second inning against Bethune-Cookman March 27, at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.
- Florida improved to 19-5 overall against Texas A&M and 7-3 on the road.
- Over the last 10 games UF is 8-2 against the Aggies.
- Sipos produced her second multi-hit and third multi-RBI game of the season.
- The three hits are a career-high for the freshman.
- Barnhill picked up her 23 victory on the season and ranks second in the nation in the category behind Louisiana’s Summer Ellyson (24-4).
- With six strikeouts in today’s game, Barnhill is now the nation’s leader in strikeouts with 235 on the year.
No. 6 Florida returns to Davis Diamond Saturday evening to take on Texas A&M in the second game of the series at 7 p.m. (ET) on the SEC Network+.