Special report on the Florida Gators softball team:
GAINESVILLE, Fla. – No. 3 Florida defeated Jacksonville, 5-0, on a rainy Wednesday evening at the Debbie & Fred Pruitt Softball Complex. Sophomore pitcher Natalie Lugo(4-0) hurled her first complete-game shutout of the season and stuck out a career-high 13 batters in the effort.
The Gators (12-0) battled through a pair of rain delays in the contest against the Dolphins (4-5). The first started just moments after the UF took a 1-0 lead at 5:04 p.m. and lasted for around nine minutes with a light rain that only required small tarps over the pitching circle and batter’s box.
However, the second rain delay that started in the top of the fifth inning at 6:23 p.m. required a full tarp over the Dolphins infield. The rain poured down for almost an hour before it was lifted to dump the water out into right field.
Florida coaches, staff and players raced out to help Jacksonville get the field playable with rakes and squeegees. After extensive work, play finally resumed at 7:17 p.m. with Gators holding a 5-0 lead.
Lugo closed out the final three frames of play with six strikeouts.
How It Happened – Jacksonville – W, 5-0
|Top 1st||1-0||Amanda Lorenz put the Gators ahead early in the game after she smashed the second pitch offered from Seana Mora over the right field wall.|
|Top 2nd||3-0||With the bases loaded, Matthews extended the lead for UF with a two-RBI single up the heart of the Dolphins infield that scored Alex Voss and Sophia Reynoso.|
|Top 2nd||4-0||Lorenz scored for the second time after Jacksonville attempted the force out at home on Jordan Roberts grounder to shortstop but Dolphins catcher Abby Genest was unable to handle the throw.|
|Top 2nd||5-0||Hannah Adams capped the scoring in the second with a bases loaded walk on just four pitches.|
- Florida improved to 22-0 all-time against Jacksonville after today’s victory on the road.
- Lugo notched her second-career complete-game shutout as a Gator.
- She recorded a career-high 13 strikeouts. Her previous high was 11 in her only other complete-game effort against Hampton University (March 31, 2018).
- Tonight was UF’s fourth shutout of the season.
- Jordan Matthews tied her career-high with three walks. It’s the third time in her career, second time this season, she has drawn three walks in a game.