Special report on the Florida Gators softball team:
GAINESVILLE – Southeastern Conference Opening Weekend finally arrived and No.7 Florida turned in a 6-0 victory over Auburn in the first game of the series Friday evening at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.
The Gators (19-4) pounded out eight hits in the series opening win over the Tigers (14-9) and received a complete-game performance from the circle by freshman Rylee Trlicek (8-2). Trlicek’s complete-game shutout was her second of the season.
Florida broke the scoreless tied in the bottom of the 3rd inning when senior Kendly Lindaman cranked an RBI single with a deep fly ball to the right field wall. Senior Jaimie Hoover led the inning off with a hit-by-pitch and advanced into scoring position after a wild pitch and eventually to third after a SAC bunt by fellow senior Sophia Reynoso.
With the bases loaded in the 4th inning, Reynoso extended the Gators lead with a SAC fly to deep center field which scored pinch-runner E.C. Taylorfrom third. Junior Hannah Adams followed up with an RBI single through the left side to score sophomore Cheyenne Lindsey.
Lindsey pushed two more runs across in the 5thframe with her second triple of the season. Down 0-2 in the count, Lindsey ripped relief pitcher Ashlee Swindle’s offering down the right field line to score freshmen Julia Cottrill and Baylee Goddard.
Earlier in the inning, Goddard and Cottrill drew walks and were advanced into scoring position on sophomore Hannah Sipos’ fourth SAC bunt of the season.
Trlicek finished the game three strikeouts, a walk and only three hits allowed on 87 pitches.
- Florida improved to 44-22 all-time against Auburn and 22-5 while playing at KSP Stadium.
- It’s also the 17th time in program history that the Gators have shut out the Tigers.
- Lindaman extended her hit-streak out to six games with her RBI single to right field.
- The Ankeny, Iowa native now has a hit in 21 of the 23 games played this season.
- She has also reached base safely in all 23 games.
- The Gators have two triples on the season, both provided by Lindsey.
- She hit her first triple of the season two games ago March 1 against Louisiana.
- Adams turned a 4-3 double play to end the game in the 7th inning for the Gators 15th of the season.
- The program entered tonight tied for 2nd nationally in total double plays turned.
- Hoover is now riding a six-game hit streak after her infield single in the 4th inning.
- Lindsey went 2-for-3 at the plate for her fourth multi-hit game of the season and her two RBI upped her total multi-RBI games to three.
- Lindsey’s defensive assist in tonight’s game came during a shift for the Gators, where Lindsey moved from left field to second base.
- Sipos is now 4-for-4 on SAC bunts on the season.
Florida and Auburn take the field for game two of the series Saturday at 6 p.m. on the SEC Network +.