Special report on the Florida Gators softball team:
GAINESVILLE, Fla. – No. 8 Florida downed in-state foe UNF, 10-2 (5), Wednesday night at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium behind a season-high 11 hits by eight different players.
The Gators (5-1) jumped out to an early 7-0 lead over the Ospreys (2-3) in the bottom of the 1stinning. Senior catcher Jordan Roberts dealt the biggest blow with her monstrous three-run home over the center field camera platform.
Freshman Julia Cottrill and sophomore Cheyenne Lindsey were the only two Florida players to amass multi-hit games. Cottrill went a career-high 3-for-3 with a pair of RBI and a run scored, while Lindsey went 2-for-3 for her second multi-hit game of the year.
In the circle, freshman left-hander Rylee Trlicek(2-0) hurled 3.0 inning for the Gators and limited UNF to just six hits and two runs, while sophomore Elizabeth Hightower cleaned up the final two frames without allowing a hit.
How It Happened –UNF– W, 10-2
|B-1st||3-0||Jordan Roberts smashed her fourth home run of the season and gave the Gators the initial lead of the game when she connected on Raulerson’s 2-2 pitch and sent it over the center field camera platform.|
|B-1st||4-0||Cottrill extended the lead with an RBI single up the middle of the field to score Matthews.|
|B-1st||5-0||Reynoso ripped relief pitcher Alyssa Dyhr’s 2-2 offering to left field and scored Caraway for the Gators fifth run of the inning.|
|B-1st||6-0||With the bases loaded and one out, Adams plated Cottrill with an RBI walk.|
|B-1st||7-0||Lindaman capped the scoring in the frame with her RBI groundout to second that scored Reynoso from third.|
|B-2nd||8-0||The Gators drew another bases loaded walk with one out on the board thanks to Reynoso. The Palmdale, Calif. native’s nine-pitch at-bat scored Roberts.|
|T-3rd||8-2||McGory put UNF on the scoreboard with a two-RBI double to the wall in the left field, which prevented the shutout.|
|B-3rd||9-2||Cottrill produced at the plate again for the Gators with a line drive RBI single to center field that scored Lindaman.|
|B-4th||10-2||Goddard registered the third bases loaded walk of the night to cap the Gators scoring for the evening.|
- Senior Jordan Roberts has hit four home runs over the last three games and is the Southeastern Conference leader in the category. Nationally Roberts was tied for seventh overall in total home runs and with her home run tonight moved her into a tie for first pending results from the leaders after today’s games are finished.
- The Gators improved to 10-0 over North Florida in program history and recorded the fourth run-rule victory over the Ospreys.
- Freshman Julia Cottrill belted a career-high three hits and registered her first two RBI and run scored as a Gator.
- Florida Head Coach Tim Walton is one game closer to 900 career Division I wins after tonight’s contest with UNF.
- In 18 season as a head coach, Walton hold a record of 899-232 (.795) and needs just one more win to become the second fastest head coach to win 900 NCAA Division I games. Arizona legendary coach Mike Candrea is the fastest to reach the milestone as he did so in just 1,077 games with the Wildcats in 17 seasons.
- Sophomore Cheyenne Lindsey notched her second multi-hit game of the season and the Gators now have six players with a combined eight multi-hit games.
- Florida produced a season-high 11 hits – which is the program’s second game of 10 or more hits so far this season.
The Gators now head into the Bubly Invitational to play six games and will start with a pair Friday, Feb. 14, against North Dakota State and Longwood. First pitch is set for 4:30 p.m. (ET) against the Bison and 7 p.m. (ET) versus the Lancers.