Most college fans around the country point towards media days as the unofficial start to college football season and SEC Media Days got underway on Monday.
Dan Mullen, Zach Carter and Ventrell Miller represented the Gators in Hoover on Monday to go through the SEC Media Day circus.
GatorCountry brings you a quick notebook on what Dan Mullen had to say at the podium on Monday.
- Mullen says it’s great to be back and see everyone in person again.
- Mullen says he can’t wait for Saturday night in the Swamp against FAU to start the season.
- A lot of things to fill on the offensive side of the ball but Mullen says he’s excited about it with both Anthony Richardson and Emory Jones.
- Anthony Richardson is competing with Emory Jones for the starting job according to Mullen.
- Mullen says last year he would’ve been ask about losing four receivers but now the questions are about quarterback.
- Mullen says they have a lot of veteran guys on the offensive line returning.
- Getting to a New Year’s playoff berth after being to three straight New Year six bowl games.
- Mullen says the new indoor complex is coming along nicely and they will be in the facility next year.
- Mullen doesn’t want to get into the specific number of guys who have had the vaccine but says it’s coming along and they’re at a pretty high number of guys who have had it.
- Mullen jokes that he doesn’t know what his bread and butter is for an offense because he has had a lot of different style of quarterbacks.
- Jaydon Hill has continued to work and is an excellent student who Mullen thinks will jump into being a starter and every down player for Florida.
- Mohamoud [Diabate] is a great athlete who Mullen says they will do things to help create a mismatch for him.
- Mullen says when the playoff was started, he said things would change in the game and he believes that they will get to an expansion.
- Mullen says Emory Jones sent him a text message while in high school and committed to another school that he wanted to be his [Mullen’s] quarterback when everything thing shaked out.
- Mullen asked about his defense and says “there were games where we played really well defensively.”
- Statically, Mullen says they weren’t where they wanted to be on defense.
- “It’s going to be a great game,” Mullen says on the Alabama game.
- I’d love to do away with the permanent crossover game,” Mullen says. He wants more games against other SEC teams so fans can see all of the teams.
- Mullen says he thinks Josh Heupel will bring excitement to Tennessee because he’s been successful everywhere he has been.
- Building a consistent program and having Nick [Saban] there a long time as a big reason why Alabama has had so much success in Florida recruiting.
- Mullen says nobody asked him to rate prospects when asked about Alabama pulling more five stars from the state of Florida than anyone.
- Being a top 10 school and top 10 in football and now the indoor facility, Mullen says he hopes kids think that there’s no better place to be than Florida.