With spring practice now over half way done new defensive coordinator D.J. Durkin met with the media on Thursday.
Durkin talked about several things including the secondary and things they need to improve on at that position as well one player who should be back this fall from injury.
I’ll touch briefly on things in this notebook and GatorCountry will have much more throughout the day and tomorrow from Durkin’s presser.
- Durkin said that freshman Daniel McMillian is as good as they thought he was but he still has some things to learn.
- Depth at both the linebacker and safety position is coming along as it should this late into spring practice.
- Durkin praised defensive tackle Darious Cummings for his play and said that the Gators will count on him this fall.
- Florida should be able to win one-on-one matchups with guys like Easley, Bullard and Fowler on the pass rush according to Durkin.
- Ronald Powell, who is recovering from ACL surgery, is progressing along well and should be ready by August.
- It will be a great day for everyone when Ronald Powell is able to get back on the field according to Durkin.
- Durkin will find ways to get both Powell and Fowler on the field this fall because they are two of the top 11 players on defense.
- Dante Fowler has impressed Durkin so far this spring and Durkin believes the future is bright for the sophomore defensive end.
- The one difference for Durkin is him having to watch what he says during special teams since he is no longer the coordinator.
- Marcus Maye and Cody Riggs have both done well at safety but Durkin says that Maye still must learn the position more.
- The safety position won’t be settled this spring especially with three guys coming in this summer.
- Communication is still a big thing for the secondary especially with the younger guys and when the backups are in.
- Durkin said he always figured that Jelani Jenkins was going pro.
- Durkin knew from the first day that Antonio Morrison put on pads that he was going to be really good.
- Consistency is something that Durkin believes helped him land both Matt Rolin and Alex Anzalone.
- Durkin is thrilled to have Louchiez Purifoy on defense because he is a dynamic player.
- Leon Orr and Damien Jacobs have been playing their best football this spring.