Special report on the Florida Gators softball team:
AUBURN, Ala. – No. 7 Florida downed No. 19 Auburn, 7-0, behind senior right-hander Kelly Barnhill’s first no-hitter of the season at Jane B. Moore Field on a clear Friday evening.
The Gators (38-12, 10-9 SEC) threatened offensively early and often against Tigers (34-14, 9-10 SEC), but didn’t break onto the scoreboard until Amanda Lorenz (1-for-4) cranked a three-run home run in the second off of AU’s starting pitcher Ashlee Swindle (9-7).
The three runs were all that Barnhill (26-8) needed in the circle as the Tigers only managed to reach base via a trio of walks and a wild pitch after Barnhill’s fifth strikeout of the game.
Jade Caraway (2-for-3) and Sophia Reynoso(2-for-3) each recorded a pair of hits in the contest, while Lorenz, Kendyl Lindaman, Jordan Roberts, Jaimie Hoover and Cheyenne Lindsey each tallied a hit for the Gators.
How It Happened
|T-2nd||3-0||Lorenz put the Gators ahead with a three-run opposite field home run that cleared the left field wall. Caraway and Cheyenne Lindsey scored on the play.|
|T-4th||4-0||With runners on the corners, a wild pitch send Auburn’s catcher Kendall Veach to the backstop but an errant throw back to home plate prompted Reynoso run home.|
|T-6th||5-0||Caraway drove home Reynoso with a two-out line-drive to left field.|
|T-7th||7-0||With a 1-0 count on the board, Hoover blasted a two-run home run over the right center field wall to extend the Gators lead and score Kendyl Lindaman.|
- Barnhill picked up her first no-hitter of the season, eighth complete-game for her career, in tonight’s win against the Tigers.
- It’s the fourth no-hitter of her career against an SEC opponent and second against a top-25 team.
- She’s the only player in program history to have thrown a no-hitter in all four years of her playing career.
- Barnhill also set the UF all-time strikeout record which was previously held by Stacey Nelson (2006-’09).
- The Marietta, Ga. native tallied her record-breaking 1,117th career strikeout when she retired Makenna Dowell to cap the bottom of the fourth inning of play.
- Florida extended its all-time record over Auburn to 41-21 and 24-5 when on the road.
- The Gators improved to 14-12 against top-25 opponents this season.
- Amanda Lorenz surpassed Aja Paculba in the career hits category and now ranks second all-time with 280 career hits.
- The Moorpark, Calif. natives’ 11thhome run of the season was also the 40th home run of her career as a Gator.
- Barnhill struck out 10 batters in tonight’s game against the Tigers.
- It’s the ninth time this season that the right-hander has struck out 10 or more opposing batters and the sixth time against a top-25 opponent.
- She struck out the side fifth inning and has now stuck out the side 24 times this season.
- Hoover hit her sixth home run of the season and now has 13 in her career.