Special report on the Florida Gators softball team:
GAINESVILLE, Fla. – No. 7 Florida defeated UCF, 5-0, in a midweek in-state contest at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium Wednesday afternoon.
The Gators (23-4) shut out the Knights (17-9) over a full seven innings, which is Florida’s 11th shutout this season. Defensively, Kelly Barnhill (14-2) dominated in the circle while seven different Gators had hits and 10 different Gators reached base safely.
With the bases loaded in the first inning, Hannah Adams started the scoring and drove in the first run of the game for Florida on a RBI single up the middle. In all, the Gators scored five runs on eight hits, with Sophia Reynoso pacing the offense with two hits, while Danielle Romanello hit a solo home run, her third of the year, in the sixth to put the game away.
Meanwhile in the circle, Barnhill stifled the Knights’ offense, as she only allowed five hits and one walk, while she struck out eight over 7.0 innings pitched. For Barnhill, this was her 13th appearance this season not allowing a run and her fourth complete-game shutout.
How It Happened – UCF – W, 5-0
|The Gators made some early noise in the first inning, loading the bases with one out when Adams hit a single up the middle to score Kendyl Lindaman.|
|B-3rd||2-0||A big third inning was started when junior Jade Caraway scored pinch-runner Lily Mann with a hard-hit single to center field, leaving two runners on with one out.|
|B-3rd||3-0||After the Gators loaded the bases, Alex Voss was hit by a pitch which pushed across Jordan Matthews.|
|Two pitches later, Amanda Lorenztook a pitch that got by the catcher. Caraway scored easily from third to extend the Gators’ lead to four runs.|
|The Gators looked to put the game away in the sixth as Danielle Romanello smacked a deep drive to center field for a solo homerun.|
- Tonight marks Kelly Barnhill’s 13th appearance without giving up a run this season.
- In those appearances, she’s struck out 82 batters over 54.2 innings pitched.
- Florida improved to 22-5 historically over UCF with a 15-2 record at home over the Knights.
- The Gators haven’t surrendered a run in 18 innings, dating back to the third inning of the second game against Tennessee last weekend.
- Kelly Barnhill has a scoreless innings streak of 13.2 innings pitched.
- Kendyl Lindaman has now reached base safely in 26-straight contests.
- The only game she did not reach safely was the first game of the 2019 season against Illinois State Feb. 8.
- Today’s win marks Florida’s 11th shutout of the season which is tied for second most in the country.
The No. 7 Gators travel to Baton Rouge, La. for a three-game series with No. 9 LSU beginning on Saturday at 7 p.m.