Florida seniors Kelly Murphy and Kristy Jaeckel were named to the 2011 All-Southeastern Conference First Team, announced this week by the league offices in Birmingham, Ala.
Senior setter and right-side hitter Kelly Murphy and senior outside hitter Kristy Jaeckel earned first team honors, while junior right-side hitter Tangerine Wiggs was named Second Team All-SEC. Redshirt freshman libero Taylor Unroe notched SEC All-Freshmen Team honors.
Murphy is a 2011 Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award finalist and is leading Florida with 603 assists for the season.
• She ranks third in the SEC in service aces serving up 36 for roughly .35 per set.
• She is sixth with a .324 hitting percentage.
• The Illinois native is second on the team in service aces, kills with 242 on the year, registering 2.37 per set and points recording 307.5 with 3.01 per set.
• The setter and right-side hitter is also third in digs scooping up 223 digs on the year, with 2.19 per set.
• Murphy has started every match of her career and ranks in the Top 10 all-time at Florida in kills, points, assists, service aces and hitting percentage.
Murphy was also named to the All-Tournament Team at the Nike Big Four Volleyball Classic, the Active Ankle SEC/ACC Challenge and the Campus USA Credit Union Invitational. She was also selected on the 2011 Preseason All-SEC team. Murphy has 27 career triple-doubles and 72 career double-doubles. Murphy was named the AVCA National Player of the Week and SEC Offensive Player of the Week for her triple-double in a 3-set sweep of Mississippi State.
Jaeckel is the 2011 SEC Co-Scholar Athlete of the Year as the Colorado native leads the Gators in kills, points and aces on the Gators’ 17-3 in the SEC and 24-5 overall season.
• The outside hitter has knocked down 340 kills on the season hitting roughly 3.37 per set to rank eighth in SEC.
• She also has notched 420.5 points on the year registering about 4.16 per set to be fifth in SEC.
• She deservingly ranks 1st in the SEC as she has served up 43 aces for the 2011 season.
• She is second on the team in digs with a total of 230 digs on the year, picking up 2.28 per set.
• Jaeckel is third in blocks on the team with 59, .58 per set and has set a team-high of 16 block solos.
• She hits the University of Florida record books as she becomes just the ninth player in Gator history to reach 3,000 or more attacks.
• Jaeckel ranks in the top-10 all-time in kills, attacks and points.
She was also named the AVCA National Player of the Week and SEC Offensive Player of the Week in the same week for her outstanding performances on the road in Auburn and Georgia. Jaeckel was also named to the All-Tournament Team at the Nike Big Four Volleyball Classic, the Active Ankle SEC/ACC Challenge and the Campus USA Credit Union Invitational, where she was named the Tournament MVP. Jaeckel was also a 2011 Preseason All-SEC selection and is a CoSIDA First Team Academic All-District® selection. The senior is a three-time member of the SEC Academic Honor Roll, currently majoring in Sports Management sustaining a perfect 4.0.
Wiggs is a 2011 Second Team All-SEC selection whom has played in every set in the 2011 season and has started in 22 matches.
• The Washington native ranks fourth in the SEC in hitting percentage, notching a .344 clip.
• She is second on the team in total blocks obtaining 77.
• Wiggs is ranked third on the team in both kills with 229 on the season and points recording 269.5.
• The junior notched her career-high this season of 18 kills in the 2011 Nike Big Four Volleyball Classic against the Stanford Cardinal. Wiggs was unstoppable against the Cardinal, as she averaged 3.10 kills per set and hit on a .456 clip.
Unroe earned a spot on the 2011 SEC All-Freshmen Team as the libero has played in every set of 2011.
• She is ranked sixth in the SEC and third on the team in service aces with 26 total, .25 per set.
• The Indiana native is also seventh in digs in the conference and with 368 for the season, 3.61 per set, leading the Gators’ backcourt.
• Unroe’s best match of the season was at LSU, where she tied her career high in digs, scooping up 22 against the Tigers.
Her stellar serve receive has aided the Gators to an NCAA-leading .312 hitting percentage. Unroe was named the SEC Freshman of the Week for her performances against Florida State and in the Campus USA Credit Union Invitational. She was also named to the Campus USA Credit Union Invitational and Active Ankle SEC/ACC Challenge All-Tournament Teams.
The Gators are having their 21st consecutive 20-win season and will serve up the ball again on Friday, December 2 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament against future SEC for Missouri. Action begins at 6 p.m. in Cedar Falls, Iowa in the McLeod Center on the campus of No. 6 seed Northern Iowa.
The University of Florida will host the 2011 NCAA Volleyball Regional in the Stephen C. O’Connell Center. To NCAA Regional tickets, log on to http://www.GatorZone.com/tickets.
2011 SEC Volleyball Awards:
Player of the Year: Kelsey Robinson, Tennessee
Libero of the Year: Stephanie Klefot, Kentucky
Freshman of the Year: Mary Pollmiller, Tennessee
Co-Scholar-Athletes of the Year: Ann Armes, Kentucky; Kristy Jaeckel, Florida
Coach of the Year: Rob Patrick, Tennessee
First Team All-SEC
Jasmine Norton, Arkansas
Kristy Jaeckel, Florida
Kelly Murphy, Florida
Whitney Billings, Kentucky
Christine Hartmann, Kentucky
Stephanie Klefot, Kentucky
Leslie Cikra, Tennessee
DeeDee Harrison, Tennessee
Kelsey Robinson, Tennessee
Second Team All-SEC
Kelli Stipanovich, Arkansas
Tangerine Wiggs, Florida
Desiree Elliott, LSU
Madie Jones, LSU
Meghan Mannari, LSU
Ashley Frazier, Kentucky
Regina Thomas, Ole Miss
Caitlin Rance, Mississippi State
Tiffany Baker, Tennessee
Mary Pollmiller, Tennessee
Taylor Unroe, Florida
Lauren O’Connor, Kentucky
Helen Boyle, LSU
Malorie Pardo, LSU
Lainey Wyman, Mississippi State
Tiffany Baker, Tennessee
Mary Pollmiller, Tennessee