Report on the Florida Gators lacrosse team:
For the second straight game Ronbeck led UF in goals with a hat trick Saturday to total eight goals on the week, while Fitzgerald made it eight games with a Gator defender scoring a goal when she bounced one in with 1:30 on the clock in the first.
After half, the oldest Pirreca made it back-to-back Gator goals to stretch the lead, 7-2, as UF opened the final period on a 5-0 run before the Wildcats countered on a free-position goal with 16:54 on the clock to make it 10-3. Junior Alex Puller scored her third goal of the season, while sophomore Morgan Bracken netted her first of the season and third of her career at the buzzer.
Florida caused eight of Villanova’s 14 turnovers and won the draw, 11-8.
No. 2 Florida: 14-1, 5-0 BIG EAST
Villanova: 3-12, 1-4 BIG EAST
NUMBERS OF NOTE
- 30: Thirty Gators saw action in Saturday’s win at Villanova. Highlighting the day for the Orange and Blue was the return of senior Carly Ross to the field after a wrist injury had her sidelined for 11 games
- 28: No. 28, Morgan Bracken, scored her first goal of the 2016 season at the buzzer of Saturday’s game at Villanova to give the sophomore three career goals
- 19: consecutive games with a point for junior Sammi Burgess, who had two goals against the Wildcats. Burgess has scored a goal in 13 of Florida’s 15 games this season
- 14: straight games with a goal for senior Nicole Graziano. Since March 6, Graziano has led UF in scoring with 24 goals and 31 points through the stretch. Graziano additionally has 95 career goals, five shy of the century mark
- 8: games a Gators defensive player has scored a goal this season. JuniorCaroline Fitzgerald netted her third of the season with 1:30 remaining on the clock in the first half
- 5: road wins for the Gators this season, with three coming against top-10 teams in then-No. 2 North Carolina, then-No. 2 Syracuse and then-No. 10 Stony Brook. Florida defeated Georgetown 14-7 in their BIG EAST road opener last week
- 2: straight BIG EAST Tournament appearance for the Gators, who clinched a spot in the four-team tournament with the win at Villanova
“Villanova had a great game plan, they came out in the first half and really slowed us down. I credit our team with continuing to work hard, making some adjustments and getting the necessary goals to win. We’re hitting the final stretch before the postseason and we need to continue to improve each and every day. The focus should be on Florida and improving everything the Gators are doing on our side of the field.”UP NEXT
The Gators have just two more games remaining on the regular-season slate with a final road game at Cincinnati April 20, before returning home for Senior Day against UConn April 24. The 2016 BIG EAST Tournament will be held May 5-7 in Washington, DC, at Georgetown’s Cooper Field.