The first day of Florida Gators fall camp is in the books and — as you may expect — there isn’t too much to report back from the first day of football drills with player in helmets and no pads.
Although, after a fall camp full of injury updates a year ago, a quiet day of camp is all right by the coaching staff.
Here are the quick notes that Will Muschamp spoke on regarding the first day of fall camp.
- Asked about the quarterbacks, more specifically how their timing was in the passing game — Will Muschamp quickly mentioned that Jeff Driskel had a good first practice. After that, Skyler Mornhinweg, Treon Harris and Will Grier sill — understandably — have some work to do.
I think Jeff looked really good. You know, a work in progress after that.”
- Three freshmen — Duke Dawson, Jalen Tabor and David Sharpe — worked out during the morning session with the older players today. Muschamp noted that this was due to class schedules and some more underclassmen will practice with the older group on Tuesday due to exams.
- Freshman Quincy Wilson is working out at cornerback. There has been chatter about whether Wilson will play cornerback or safety at Florida but he impressed in his first practice, coming away with an interception.
- Andre Debose, J.C. Jackson and Matt Rolin are slightly limited to kick off fall camp. Muschamp said the coaching staff will monitor Debose’s reps closely as he returns from an ACL tear but that only have a couple players out is a drastic change from last year.
Three of our best players offensively. Two of them were out for the entire training camp, and Jeff was out probably 10 or 12 days. Drastically different [this year]. There’s no question, it was a rough fall.”
- The team was in just helmets on Monday and will be in just helmets on Tuesday as well. They will put on shoulder pads Wednesday and Thursday before getting into full pads for practice on Friday.
Join Gator Country for all the latest UF Gators football news.