Florida Gators head coach Jim McElwain took the podium for the second time this week ahead of the Northern Colorado game. Injuries and the status of Hurricane Irma have been major concerns for the Gators heading into Week Two.
McElwain gave updates to the media on Wednesday. Here’s what he said:
• The team is giving up its hotel reservations Friday night to allow for more room for evacuees. “That’s the least we can do.”
• The athletic department has a plan in place to help players’ families who could be in possible danger during the hurricane.
• There is still no update on the ongoing investigation of suspended players.
• Chauncey Gardner was back at practice today. He is good to go.
• DeAndre Goolsby is out with a leg injury. “I don’t know when he’ll ever be back.”
• James Robinson had a doctor’s appointment yesterday and a problem appeared in his cardiogram. He is out for the time being due to his health.
• Kyle Trask had a “bolt” put in his foot Wednesday morning.
• Kemore Gamble will be back and ready to play next week, not this week.
• McElwain said he is looking to see a total team effort this week. “I’d like to see us play clean, hard, physical.”
• McElwain on Feleipe Franks: “One of the things about Feleipe that I really like is it means a lot to him, and his teammates mean a lot to him.”