HOOVER, Ala.- Florida Gators head coach Jim McElwain took to the podium on Tuesday to address the media at the annual SEC Media Days. McElwain addressed several topics while in Hoover and GatorCountry.com was live to bring you the news and notes from his press conferences.
The quarterback position was the main topic of conversation but McElwain wasn’t ready to appoint one guy the starter at this time.
GatorCountry will break down what McElwain had to say at his multiple media stops in this notebook.
- The quarterback room is really good and where McElwain and his staff wanted it to be number wise. McElwain says they have talent and options in the room this year.
- Luke Del Rio is back to throwing after multiple shoulder surgeries in the offseason.
- The president of Notre Dame wrote Malik Zaire’s recommendation letter according to McElwain.
- McElwain says there really wasn’t a pitch to Zaire because people had told the quarterback about Florida having an open quarterback position.
- When asked whether Franks would be upset over the matter, McElwain says he hopes not but says he hopes nobody comes to Florida with the plan of holding the clipboard.
- Kadarius Toney will have a package similar to what McElwain and his staff had for Dre Massey last year.
- No decision has been made on Antonio Callaway yet but says he’s doing what he’s supposed to do.
- James Robinson is dealing with an NCAA situation as far as being cleared to enroll.
- The pieces are there to be a good team if the quarterback play improves according to McElwain. Mac also says that it isn’t all on the quarterback.
- Florida speed is back according to Mac and he says that the receiver group is the best he has had at Florida.
- Mac says that he didn’t know about the homecoming game against LSU until he got off the plane on Monday.
GatorCountry will continue to update everyone on the latest news and notes from SEC Media Days.