Hoover, Ala. — Florida Gators head coach Jim McElwain took to the podium on Monday at SEC Media Days to update everyone on his team after a long offseason.
McElwain touched on several different things including the status of two players, the offensive linemen and what it’s liked to be in year two of his Florida career.
Gator Country was live in Hoover to hear McElwain speak several times and we bring you the highlights of his day at Media Days in this jammed packed notebook.
- Antonio Callaway and Treon Harris are back on campus and working out with the team but nothing has been resolved in their case yet.
- McElwain expressed several times about how happy he was that they got to Atlanta last year but that also how disappointing it was to finish the way they did.
- Finishing the way they did is something that McElwain says will be used as learning tool this year and this offseason.
- Luke Del Rio and Austin Appleby have helped the younger quarterbacks due to their experience in college according to McElwain.
- McElwain wasn’t shy about the fact that the offensive line play has to get better from last year. Mac says those guys take pride in what they do.
- Martez Ivey, Tyler Jordan and Fred Johnson being able to play a lot as freshmen is something that Mac pointed to a lot on Monday.
- McElwain expanded on the young guys by saying that they need to learn from the experience of last year.
- Mac says that ideally they would like to have ten offensive linemen who can play on game day but he says that he’s not sure if they are there or not this year.
- One of the leaders of that offensive group is David Sharpe who Mac says is stepping up as a leader.
- Ivey is playing guard right now but rotates to play some tackle and plays both sides.
- Jorge Powell is back from injury and is healthy according to McElwain. Mac says that he will be back in competition with Eddy Pineiro.
- With Eddy Pineiro, Jorge Powell and punter Johnny Townsend, Mac says he has faith in the kickers.
- The question was posed to McElwain several times about regulating his players’ social media and he says that he doesn’t censor his guys. He says it’s about freedom of speech but also teaching the guys about having a positive brand.
- Mac says that they will rely on Alex Anzalone, Daniel McMillian and younger guys to play beside Jarrad Davis this fall.
- Anzalone is back and healthy but hasn’t received his medical redshirt yet because that’s something done after his eligibility is up.
- Mac didn’t sound very positive when discussing Thomas Holley’s health as he responded that it was going to be a long year for him.