In the hot days of summer in Gainesville, the Will Muschamp football camp continues on through the week. GatorCountry was out at camp today, sweating right along with the players. With another big crowd of players, there were a few things that stood out to us.
- Ryan Sousa was the most impressive wide receiver by fay today. Dan Thompson saw Sousa at a NFTC event in Orlando and came away impressed. I was equally impressed with Sousa after watching him today. He runs solid, crisp routes and has great hands. His best quality today was how he is able to high point the football and how he adjusts to passes in the air. Sousa was beating cornerbacks all day and came up with some Randy Moss type grabs over defenders.
- Sousa didn’t just impress me; he also drew the attention of the coaching staff. Joker Phillips and Chris Leak worked with him throughout the afternoon while Will Muschamp looked on. After camp, Muschamp pulled Sousa aside and spoke with him for about five minutes. He doesn’t have an offer from Florida yet, but one could be coming soon.
- A stud 2015 quarterback was on campus today in Tyler Queen. Queen measured in at 6’2” 230-pounds and was the best quarterback of the day. Queen has sound footwork and a very strong arm. Brent Pease spent a lot of the afternoon working with him. Queen has offers from Auburn, Clemson, North Carolina and Alabama. He will probably add Florida to that list soon.
- There were two offensive linemen on campus today that Florida has interest in. Andrew Schofner tweaked a hamstring while running the 40-yard dash today and didn’t participate the rest of camp. He said he will be back for Friday Night Lights.
- The other linemen wasn’t working out at camp but was on campus taking a tour of the school and facilities for the first time. Brock Ruble is a 6’8” 325-pound offensive lineman and after standing next to him he is every bit of that measurement. He’s a well-put together 325 and appeared very athletic. He doesn’t have a timetable for a decision. He told us that he really liked the coaching staff and enjoyed his visit to Florida.
- Another prospect that stood out initially to me and doesn’t have any offers yet, but passes the eye test, is Elijah English. English is a 6’6” 260-pound defensive end from South Sumter high school. English is childhood friends and a former teammate of Keanu Neal. English played tight end last year but is making the move back to defense. He told me that he enjoyed the opportunity to work with the Florida coaches and D.J. Durkin and Brad Lawing both took an extra look at the athletic defensive end/BUCK prospect.
Stay tuned the rest of the week, as GatorCountry will continue to bring you coverage from Will Muschamp’s football camps. There are some very talented players scheduled to camp this week and we’ll have all the latest news coming out off the practice fields.