GatorCountry.com brings you this week’s Florida Gators softball review as the Gators won seven games last week. In this recap we will break down the past week’s games, plus name a player of the week from the past week.
The Gators swept a midweek doubleheader from Jacksonville and then went down to Orlando and won five games. Florida won the five games in the Diamond 9 classic that was played at ESPN’s Wide World of Sports.
Florida run-ruled four of the seven opponents they played this week and ran its record to a perfect 11-0 on the young season.
The Gators have now outscored their opponents 90-4 through 11 games this season.
- Florida defeated Jacksonville 6-0- winning pitcher Aleshia Ocasio
- Florida defeated Jacksonville 10-0- winning pitcher Kelly Barnhill
- Florida defeated UAB 8-0- winning pitcher Delanie Gourley
- Florida defeated Stephen F. Austin 6-2- winning pitcher Aleshia Ocasio
- Florida defeated Omaha 9-0- winning pitcher Delanie Gourley
- Florida defeated Elon 3-1- winning pitcher Kelly Barnhill
- Florida defeated Jacksonville 10-0- winning pitcher Aleshia Ocasio
Freshman Amanda Lorenz boosted her average to .571 as she had 11 hits through the seven games this week. Lorenz now has 12 RBI’s and has scored 18 runs. 7 of those RBI’s and 9 of those runs came this week. Lorenz has a on base percentage of .692 now.
Sophomore Janell Wheaton hit her second home run of the year this week and drove in four runs. Wheaton is second on the team with a .440 average after a good week at the plate.
New cleanup hitter Taylore Fuller hit her first home run of the season on Saturday, and now has 12 RBI’s while hitting .400 in the four hole. Fuller has eight walks so far this season.
Senior Kelsey Stewart recorded her 300th career hit on Sunday and has raised her batting average to .226. Stewart hit her first home run of the year on Sunday. Stewart has struggled with hits early on but she still has a .415 on base percentage. That is in large part due to her drawing nine walks this year.
Tim Walton and Florida Gators softball pitching coach Jennifer Rocha threw all three of the Gators pitchers this week. Junior Delanie Gourley picked up two more wins this week and also pitched in relief one game. Gourley still hasn’t allowed a run this year and has only given up six hits.
Sophomore Aleshia Ocasio stole the show this week, as she threw a no-hitter against Jacksonville on Wednesday. Ocasio picked up three wins this week including a win over Stephen F. Austin where she relieved Kelly Barnhill. Ocasio also picked up a save this weekend while keeping her ERA at 0.28.
Freshman Kelly Barnhill struggled a little bit against Stephen F. Austin this weekend but bounced back to beat Elon on Saturday. Overall Barnhill earned two wins this weekend and still has a respectful ERA of 1.19.
Player of the week
Sophomore Aleshia Ocasio threw a no-hitter and picked up three wins this week. Ocasio leads the team with 32 strikeouts this year.
This week’s schedule
This weekend the Gators play in the Mary Nutter Collegiate Class in Palm Springs, California.
- Thursday against UCLA starting at 8:30 P.M
- Thursday against North Carolina State starting at 11 P.M
- Friday against Washington starting at 6:00 P.M
- Friday against Nebraska starting at 8:30 P.M
- Saturday against Utah starting at 12:30 P.M