The Florida Gators are coming from one of the most embarrassing losses in school history following a 26-20 loss to the Georgia Southern Eagles. The loss plummets Florida to a 4-7 record and ensures they will not be going to a bowl game at season’s end. The Gators now welcome the Florida State Seminoles into town for the annual rivalry tilt this Saturday.
On offensive struggles
- Wide receiver Solomon Patton said they just need to make plays as a team and trust the playcalls from offensive coordinator Brent Pease. Patton says it stinks to be called out by the head coach but says there’s only so much they can do.
- Safety Jaylen Watkins says football is a team sport and says the defense stopping the opposing offense would make it easier on their offense. They need to get turnovers and create a short field for the offense.
We’ve got to do a better job,” quarterback Skyler Mornhinweg said. “We’ve got to go out, execute and put points on the board. That’s on us. That’s on me. I’ve got to do a better job executing. We’ve got to do a better job putting points on the board. It’s a simple as that. We have to execute that.”
On the mood in the locker room after the game
- Patton said everyone is just trying to finish strong and keep their head up. It’s been quiet and nobody is excited about losing.
- Mornhinweg said they have to do a better job and make plays that produce points. They’re working hard in practice.
Everybody is pretty down,” Watkins said. “We broke it down as a team. You definitely saw the leaders that are the future leaders trying to get the team together and get everybody to stick together through adversity. I’m pretty sure everybody has faced that in their lives. That’s really the only message you can get from this.”
Looking forward to the FSU game
- Watkins said they’re trying to get focused on the game because it’s a big rivalry game and they know how much it means to the fans. He says they can throw out the records because both teams will play hard
- Mornhinweg said they’re trying to emulate last year’s success against the Seminoles and thinks because they did well last year they can repeat those results.
Really just come out, playing hard [against the Seminoles],” Patton said. “It’s the last game. Obviously we all need to have a chip on our shoulder just from this season how it’s been going and just come out and play hard, honestly.”