On Tuesday, Will Muschamp met with the media for the final spring press conference before Saturday’s Orange and Blue spring game.
While Saturday is being called the spring game or the Orange and Blue game, it will in fact be more like an open practice than a scrimmage according to Muschamp.
The change of format was one of the big topics Muschamp talked about but he also touched on several players and injuries.
GatorCountry.com will have a quick notebook touching on what Muschamp said but will follow with more in-depth stories and features today.
- Muschamp congratulated Billy Donovan on his season this year and making a third straight elite eight.
- Trip Thurman had shoulder surgery on Monday and should be out 4 months for recovery but should be back to 100% by fall camp.
- Cornerback Cody Riggs is still out of practice due to a hamstring injury.
- Jonathan Bullard, who has missed the last few practices, will miss the remainder of the spring with a hamstring injury.
- Cornerback Jeremy Brown is still out with a groin injury.
- Gator Walk will take place at 10:30 on Saturday.
- Demarcus Robinson, who had an ankle injury, returned to practice on Monday but is still limping.
- The coaches will be mic’d up on Saturday to help explain the drills.
- Jonathan Bullard and Dante Fowler both ask a lot of questions which has helped them mature as players.
- Muschamp singled out Damien Jacobs as a guy playing well but noted that Leon Orr and Darious Cummings need to be more consistent and in better shape.
- If the season started today, Dominique Easley would start at defensive tackle.
- Jaylen Watkins will most likely start the fall at safety.
- Loucheiz Purifoy will take snaps on offense on Saturday.
- Having a practice in front of the fans will help the young guys adjust to playing in front of a crowd.
- Muschamp said he played a April fools joke on the guys yesterday by telling them the NCAA was allowing them five more practices. The older guys finally figured out the joke.
- Darrin Kitchens will most likely start the fall camp at inside linebacker.
- During Saturday’s scrimmage, Kent Taylor had a big 40 yard touchdown reception from Jeff Driskel.