Will Muschamp and new special teams coordinator Jeff Choate met with the media on Wednesday to recap the spring and introduce coach Choate to the media.
Several things were talked about from the releasing of the new depth chart, to a player transferring as well as the NFL draft.
Here is Will Muschamp’s press conference note book
- Jessamen Dunker will transfer, Muschamp met with Dunker after the SEC teleconference.
- Purifoy will start summer on defense for first 12 practices while the coaches evaluate what they have at WR.
- Ronald Powell is listed as the starter at Sam.
- Muschamp says they will scrimmage a lot this fall to help give the players the game like situation that they didn’t get this spring.
- Mack Brown has “distanced himself” from the others at backup RB
- Would like to see Kelvin Taylor develop more. Needs to work on the mental part of the game.
- Muschamp says on Sturgis “he’s definitely going to get a phone call. He’s not going to wait as long as everyone thinks.”
- On Choate hiring: Muschamp values his assistants’ opinions a lot. Spends more time with coaches than family during the season.
- Wanted to hire a good person who would get along with the rest of the coaching staff.
- Muschamp has known Choate for 6-7 years through recruiting in Texas.
- On demands of SEC Network: “I’ll do everything they ask with a smile.”
- Muschamp says having players drafted helps in recruiting but it boils down to the relationships you form with recruits.
- On Players leaving early for the NFL: “It’s a great problem to have, I’d love to have that every year.”
- Choate was asked about leaving a DC job for an assistant role says he had a great opportunity at UTEP but Florida was a job that he couldn’t say no to.
- Choate wants the challenge that the SEC will bring to him.
- Choate says he has a similar style to Durkin on special teams. Won’t change much scheme or technique wise but will add his own spin on things.
- On talent at UF: “there’s definitely some talent here.”
- Choate says he would like the special teams to be an extension of the offense.
- Mentions Debose as one of the best KR in school history,
- Will hit the recruiting trail May 1. Still acclimating to life in Gainesville and waiting on his family to move.
- Northern California and Houston are spots Choate says he will keep his contacts in.
- Difference between Boise State and Florida: “There’s no lack of talent and skill here. The expectations are very high and they should be.”
- Choate will coach Buck and Sam linebacker. Durkin will coach Mike and Will. Some crossover with Lawing at Buck.