Special report on the Florida Gators softball:
GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Behind an Amanda Lorenz two-run home run and a brilliant performance from Delanie Gourley in the circle, the No. 1-seeded University of Florida softball team evened its NCAA Super Regional series with Alabama on Friday with a 2-0 win at KSP Stadium.
UF (54-8) and UA (46-17) will meet on Saturday at 5 p.m. with a trip to the NCAA Women’s College World Series in Oklahoma City on the line.
Alabama right-hander Sidney Littlejohn set down Florida’s first eight hitters that stepped to the plate on Friday.
Senior Justine McLean broke up the no-no as she recorded an infield single with two outs in the third inning. Lorenz followed with the aforementioned home run.
Lorenz is now 4-for-6 with one run scored, two RBI, one home run and two walks in the Super Regional.
The pair of runs ended a scoreless-inning streak that lasted 30 and one-third innings for Alabama in postseason play.
That was all Gourley would need, as UF’s senior lefty threw her 12th complete game shutout of the season. She allowed just four hits while she retired eight Crimson Tide hitters on strikes.
Alabama only had one baserunner in scoring position on Friday, but no Crimson Tide hitters were able to reach third.
Saturday’s decisive game three, where Florida will be the home team, will be broadcast on ESPN.
- The Gators improved to 16-6 (.727) after today’s win against Alabama.
- Florida has won its second elimination game of this year’s NCAA Tournament.
- Defeated Oklahoma State 5-0 in a must win contest to advance to the Super Regionals.
- Florida has only played a Super Regional “if necessary” game three two times prior to this season.
- 2007 at Texas A&M
- Lost the series 1-2 (L, 2-0; W, 3-2 & L, 2-0)
- 2014 vs. Washington
- Won the series, 2-1, and advanced to the WCWS. Eventually went on to win the program’s first NCAA National Championship.
- 2007 at Texas A&M
- Florida improved its overall series record against Alabama to 32-36.
- The Gators have not lost back-to-back games to Alabama in the same season since 2012.