Men’s tennis advances to NCAA Round 16
Athens, Ga. - University of men's tennis freshman Jesse Levine and junior Greg Ouellette continued their success as the two moved into the Round of 16 in the NCAA Men's Tennis singles draw before combining their efforts to move into the same stage of the doubles competition at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex in Athens, Ga., on Thursday.
Levine (No. 3) defeated No. 43 Markus Dickhardt of San Diego State in just over an hour, 6-2, 6-2 to improve his record to 23-0 on the season. Levine has won 21 of his matches in straight sets including each of the last 13. With his win, Levine will face Georgia’s 14th-ranked Luis Flores Friday in the Round of 16 as Flores defeated No. 29 Harel Scrugo of Old Dominion Thursday afternoon, 6-2, 6-3.
Ouellette was also victorious in straight sets as he edged Radford’s
76th-ranked Martin Sayer in the first set, 7-6, before going on to take the second 6-3. He moved into the NCAA singles Round of 16 for the second time in his career having last made an appearance as a freshman in 2005 where he got all the way to the quarterfinals. Illinois’ No. 5 ranked Kevin Anderson awaits Ouellette on Friday. Earlier today, Anderson defeated UNLV’s Elliott Wronski (No. 60), 6-1, 6-3.
The two also made their first appearance on the doubles courts where they enter the event as the No. 3 seed. On Thursday, they combined to defeat Ohio State’s 11th-ranked Chris Klingemann and Devin Mulling (6-4,
1-6, 6-2). With the win, they will take on LSU’s Ken Skupski and James Cluskey (No. 22) on Friday.
Florida has had two NCAA singles champions (Mark Merklein in 1994 and Jeff Morrison in 1999) and one doubles champion (Merklein and David Blair in 1993).
2007 NCAA Men’s Tennis Championships Singles and Doubles Draws
Dan Magill Tennis Complex
Singles Round of 32
(3) Jesse Levine (Florida) def. (43) Markus Dickhardt (San Diego State),
(21) Greg Ouellette (Florida) def. (76) Martin Sayer (Radford), 7-6, 6-3
Doubles Round of 32
(3) Jesse Levine-Greg Ouellette (Florida) def. (11) Chris
Klingemann-Devin Mullings (OSU), 6-4, 1-6, 6-2
Get the Gator Country Magazine!
Read outstanding, feature length coverage of Gator athletics like no other in a beautiful, full color & glossy print magazine... MORE...
Check out our Photo Galleries!
View thousands of Gator Country's exclusive photos from all Florida Gators sports, including games, events, tournaments, practices and more... MORE...
2014 Football Commits
|Davidson (NC) Day|
|Columbia (SC) Spring Valley|
|Fort Myers (Fla.) Dunbar|
|Cross City (Fla.) Dixie County|
|Jacksonville (Fla). Raines|
|Deland (Fla.) High|
|New Orleans (La.) St. Augustine|
|Miami (Fla.) Central|
|Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) St. Thomas Aquinas|
2013 Basketball Commits
|Clermont (Fla.) Montverde Academy|
|Bonifay (Fla) Holmes County|
- Beer you are drinking right now (channingcrowderhungry @ 03:09 PM)
- Aubrey Hill New Head Coach at Miami Carol City (his high school Alma mater) (G8R92 @ 03:05 PM)
- babes (Swamp_of_Gators @ 03:04 PM)
- JUST IN: Florida advances to Super Regional (Bullgator40509 @ 03:02 PM)
- New forum? (ApexNC @ 03:00 PM)
- Iron Man 3 (ufhomerj31 @ 02:59 PM)
- Charlotte Changing Back to Hornets (ApexNC @ 02:56 PM)
- Is Driskel a Top 5 SEC QB? (socraticsilence @ 02:55 PM)
- Shows that you miss (regurgigator @ 02:49 PM)
- Retired Brigadier General Pat Foote (scrappygator @ 02:40 PM)