Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Zuckerberg for Buttigieg

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ThePlayer, Oct 21, 2019.

1. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It's fair to say Chief Run-a-Muck Warren won't be the Commander-in-Chief to Facebook fans.

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg and his wife Priscilla Chan have been advising South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg's presidential campaign on potential hires, Tyler Pager and Kurt Wagner at Bloomberg reported Monday.

According to Bloomberg, Zuckerberg and Chan first reached out to the Buttigieg campaign in April, not long after he entered the race. Zuckerberg and Chan both individually sent names to Buttigieg's campaign manager, Mike Schmuhl. So far, two of the recommended staffers have been hired. Although Zuckerberg initiated contact, a spokesperson for the Chan-Zuckerbergs told Bloomberg that the campaign asked for hiring recommendations.

Mark Zuckerberg and his wife have reportedly been privately recommending hires for the Buttigieg campaign (FB)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I assume marketing and/or digital leaders. Seems normal unless PewDiePie is the new Secretary of State.

Might be too millennial of a reference for some of you...

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    If the local pub is in need of a booty judge, I respectfully volunteer. :devil::D

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Murphy NC
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I do think there is a large part of the Dems that are looking for someone center left vs ultra left and Biden might be losing some of that? Just a guess.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Dems better not nominate Warren if they have any sense. Trying to force Medicare for All will by itself cost the election.

To lose an election to the POTUS with the lowest approval ratings of all time, who clearly should be impeached and removed for recurring criminal and traitorous activity, is beyond the pale.

But I think the Dems can do exactly that. Lose to the worst POTUS in history.

Biden can't maintain coherent thoughts and is getting drug through the mud by Trump. Consistent incoherence hasn't hurt Trump, but I'm sure it will catch up with Biden.

So whomever has a chance at representing a moderate platform needs to win. Buttigieg appears to have a shot. I'd go with Yang but he doesn't appear to have any shot at winning the nomination.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    He's pretty far and away my favorite option in 2020. Which is why he probably doesn't stand a chance.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. wgbgator

wgbgator Extremely Online Premium Member

I don't think its particularly "large" per se, just well-funded. The donor class if you will. There's a lot of polling where the second choice of Biden voters are Bernie or Warren. The voters aren't that ideologically sorted.

9. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    I agree, I don't think there is a ton of enthusiasm behind Biden especially as he has continued to struggle in the debates. Buttigieg has done a great job positioning himself as the Biden alternative. So far, his campaign has done a great job shifting into this new lane.

10. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    So the NYTimes has a piece out that says the Democratic establishment is still asking if there is a better option out there that is not in the race right now. Apparently they are not happy with their choices.

Anxious Democratic Establishment Asks, ‘Is There Anybody Else?’

Bloomberg and Kerry are mentioned, as is..........wait for it, Hillary Clinton.

I think this blogger hit the nail on the head about HRC: The age of Hillary is done. Not even the coked-up writers of the “President Trump” reality show we now inhabit could invent a plot arc that restores her to political viability. I think.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    By media standards, he's a staunch conservative.

12. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    He is one of the few dems I could vote for if the trumpmaster runs again without a viable 3rd party option.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    I think that's just 95% name recognition, tbh. I doubt most voters could name anyone outside of those 3.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Murphy NC
    Bloomberg would have been a nice alternative some years ago but he will be 78 in Nov 2020 - a bit long in the tooth for most. Kerry does not inspire and Hillary aint happening -even if she were to run. Not sure if there is a white knight to save us from 4 more years of this grifter President. Some retired general or admiral with administrative experience in government or in running a large organization would be a possibility.

15. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Count me among those who feel this Democratic field is weak. Warren is too progressive to win. Bernie and Biden are just too old. Mayor Pete just makes a lot of sense. He's very intelligent, articulate, moderate and served his country. He was on my list before the debates and since the first, has been my favored candidate. If he doesn't get the nomination, I sure hope he can run as V.P.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    I think Admiral McRaven would be willing to listen. Contrast between Trump and the SEAL in charge of JSOC that killed Bin Laden would be big.

• Like Like x 2
  17. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Murphy NC
    He was one of those I was thinking of. I would vote for him

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I wouldn't put too much stock in it. The polls are all over the map and not reliable in primaries like this one. That poll also has some methodology/sampling flaws that would skew towards Pete. The recent national polls haven't shown any major movement for him. He's always done better in Iowa than nationally because of how white it is.

I think people make the mistake of assuming that Pete is a Biden alternative because he's trying to steer himself into the moderate lane. However, if you look at Biden's coalition, it is heavy on POC voters, especially black voters. Pete has consistently struggled to gain any sort of traction with black voters and can't point to anything in his past that lends credence to a belief that he'll suddenly break through with black voters. If the Biden ship sinks, I'm not sure who ends up with his voters. Frankly, I think Amy Klobuchar is a better moderate candidate than Pete.

I actually quite like candidates outside of the top three. I like O'Rourke, Harris, and Booker. I think all three could be strong in a general election. We'll see if one emerges as people start to make up their minds. Harris has it all on paper but has run a poor campaign. O'Rourke has struggled to overcome his disastrous start. And Booker has never seemed capable of building momentum. But I look at all three, and they have all the qualities I think are important.

As for Warren, Bernie, Biden, and Pete, I think they're all missing one or more qualities. Warren lacks broad appeal and strong political instincts. I agree that Bernie and Biden are far too old. Pete is short on experience, doesn't seem to have much in the way of substance or principles, and has never done well outside of his two local races with horrible turnout.

19. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    • Like Like x 1
  20. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Any word on Booker’s finances? I recall he was running low and had sent out a “We need to raise X or we end the campaign.”

I think Harris just has to hang around long enough to be the moderate alternative to Biden. I agree Pete appears to have little to no support in the black community and that is a problem for him. Harris just need to be better prepared for debates and TV interviews.

I know you like Beto but his campaign seems to be on life support. The AWB was a risky policy position to take but I understood why he did it. Calling for the end for tax exemptions for churches and organizations that don’t support same sex marriage was not smart. That is not going to play well with a lot of people of color who are religious and vote democratic.