Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Yuan Devaluation Coming??

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by G8trGr8t, Apr 30, 2024.

1. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Interesting analysis of how China has drastically ramped up their commodities purchasing and how that portends a major devaluation of the yuan.

China May Be Preparing To Deploy Economic 'Nuclear Option' (newsweek.com)

China has been buying up commodities at a rapid clip, prompting analysts to wonder out loud whether Beijing is preparing to choose the economic "nuclear option."

"China is preparing for something major. That seems increasingly obvious judging from the stockpiling of important resources. Could it be that they are preparing a major one-off devaluation of the CNY?" Andreas Steno Larsen, CEO of Steno Research, wrote last week.

[​IMG]

Accumulating resources like gold and oil beforehand could provide some financial security and bargaining power, helping to stabilize the economy against potential negative effects of a devaluation, such as increased import costs and inflation.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    China is in trouble. Rising unemployment and especially youth unemployment.

Oppress 1 billion people and then take away the increased economic situation they’ve been gaining and suddenly you are screwed.

3. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If you read the full article, the scarier proposition is that they’re stocking up for war.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    They've been telling us the yuan is gonna collapse since like 1998. So maybe?

5. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    So how to play this other than short the yuan?

6. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Buy commodities?

7. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That could go hand-in-hand with economic turbulence. Despite its dystopian character they could very well be planning a simultaneous invasion of Taiwan to help buoy their economy and unite their populace behind a cause.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    You predict something for long enough you are bound to be right eventually.

9. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    The best indicator that gold is going to go on a tear is when I sell it. I sold my relatively small stake a few months ago.

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    ...and positioning...

...and preparing...

...and planning...

....and planting ops here...

....and setting up eyes on our bases, recon via balloons over our skies, and [funky shit with their satellites]...and chipping away at us with fenty and driving division a thousand different ways, and flooding in ops by the thousand through our porous southern border....

***BUT***

:eek::eek::eek:RUSSIA!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

:confused::mad:o_O:rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2024
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Can you give me a heads up next time you sell? ;)

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I finally decided enough of this nonsense. It’s a dumb investment. I don’t plan to ever buy any again. which probably means you should and enjoy a multiyear gold boom.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    maybe, but I've always seen investing in commodities as a bet against human innovation, &, hence, a sucker bet

[​IMG]

The Simon–Ehrlich wager was a 1980 scientific wager between business professor Julian L. Simon and biologist Paul Ehrlich, betting on a mutually agreed-upon measure of resource scarcity over the decade leading up to 1990. The widely-followed contest originated in the pages of Social Science Quarterly, where Simon challenged Ehrlich to put his money where his mouth was. In response to Ehrlich's published claim that "If I were a gambler, I would take even money that England will not exist in the year 2000" Simon offered to take that bet, or, more realistically, "to stake US$10,000 ... on my belief that the cost of non-government-controlled raw materials (including grain and oil) will not rise in the long run."

Simon challenged Ehrlich to choose any raw material he wanted and a date more than a year away, and he would wager on the inflation-adjusted prices decreasing as opposed to increasing. Ehrlich chose copper, chromium, nickel, tin, and tungsten. The bet was formalized on September 29, 1980, with September 29, 1990, as the payoff date. Ehrlich lost the bet, as all five commodities that were bet on declined in price from 1980 through 1990, the wager period.[1]

Simon–Ehrlich wager - Wikipedia

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    The problem with most commodities, excluding hard commodities like gold and silver, is you can’t directly invest in them. You have to invest in funds that try to replicate commodities indexes with futures. But ultimately you must sell those positions unless you want tons of corn dumped on your driveway. By far the biggest traded commodity is oil. When the futures contracts are about to expire, and these commidity future “investors” are selling, commodities traders eat their lunch, diminishing some of the profits leading to big variances between the spot price returns and the futures fund return. I think this phenomenon is called contango.

So not only are commodities a poor long term investment due to technology, you can’t even consistent replicate the spot price returns.

Gold and silver are different as they are storable. Still long term you’d expect they’d match inflation but with lots of variability that can last for decades.

15. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Official Brexit Reporter!

Taiwan.
    Book it.