Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

You've probably never seen a worse cheap shot

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by MadduxFanII, Nov 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    Very vague response. The university doesn't owe the kid a thing if he screws up this bad. If anything the school's reputation takes a huge hit in the future because of this kid's actions and likely the basketball program as well.

If you sucker punch a student, you'd get kicked out of the university if not in jail the next day. You can ask pretty much every college president and they'd tell you the same thing.

2. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Cherry picking. Also said he shouldn't play anymore games and the terms would be very conditional. Again, I said it before but this will be my last response. Get your quips or Wtvr it is you like in and i won't respond. When you want to actually acknowledge my points in their entirety we can continue but there is absolutely no point in trying to discuss anything with someone who drops supposition at their convenience, disregards major pieces of one's premise and feels they need to win some imaginary argument in their own mind. Its a pity people can't even acknowledge the written words in a discussion let alone apply context and critical thinking. Have a good day

3. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I can't comment for other institutions, but this simply isn't the case at FLORIDA. Going to jail is completely unrelated to whether or not you get expelled. I can't tell if you are joking or not with respect to asking "pretty much every college president." How many college presidents do you know? Are they all heavily involved in the student conduct matters at their institutions?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

4. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    Committing assault to this degree against another student on campus gets you expelled. Technically you'd have a hearing and then you'd get expelled. I'm actually shocked that you'd think otherwise considering it literally just happened in this case.

5. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Never put someone on ignore before but you are so off base I have to. You literally make stuff up. And implying racism? Mods? Seriously?

6. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    I think this kind of issue is just difficult to make absolute statements about. There are perfect examples that support each side. We're really debating self determination and personal responsibility vs the responsibility/obligation of systems to have a positive influence - that's how I see it at least.

I hesitate when ultra competitive sports as being a means of rehabilitating someone. There's a huge conflict of interest on the part of the program/coach which is why you see walk-ons booted for minor offenses and star players completely enabled.

If we say that, sometimes, sports has really helped a person mature (and can provide obvious examples) and that, other times, sports has enabled or stunted the maturity of a person (and can also cite examples) - it kinda makes me wonder how much of a determining factor sports really is.

Tebow vs Hernandez is just pointing out polar opposite ends of the spectrum and I don't think we should say that Hernandez is an exception - he's just the extreme. We'll never know but it seems a logical assumption that Hernandez was destined for trouble no matter what program he played for or whether or not he even played sports. Same for Tebow - just the opposite outcome instead.

I think sports can give us an opportunity to face trials that can stimulate the process of maturity and so can other things. I don't think its a causal factor though. I lean more towards thinking that, if sports helps someone, that this person just happened to see their growth manifested in a situation they found them-self in (sports). Its also possible they would have found a similar level of self improvement in another endeavor that might have presented itself if sports weren't in the picture.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Enough guys. Going to lock the thread for right now

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.