Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Your first Gator Football game in Gainesville, When? , who?, and how old were you?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by returntono1, Jan 23, 2019.

1. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    Wow. We have another winner. That was my dad's senior year BTW. His first Gator game was in Jax in 51. Said he and his HS best friend had just gotten to Gainesville that day as incoming freshmen and someone from their hometown came up to them and asked them if they wanted to go to the game. They said they had no tickets and the guy said he'd get them in. So they hopped in his car and went to Jax for the game.

• Like Like x 1
  2. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    1996 Vs. Ragin' Cajuns

• Like Like x 1
  3. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I drove to that game w/ a buddy and froze.

Ron Zook, our future HBC, was a DB for Miami for Ohio in that game. I was also at the 1986(or was it 85 or 87) game at home vs Cincinnati that we won, I think 16-0. A DB for Cincy was Urban Meyer.

4. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I don't remember which game, but Tommy Shannon was the starting QB. But he starting splitting playing time with someone else whose name I can't recall at the moment.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    As cold as I have ever been in my life, and we got our butts kicked

• Like Like x 1
  6. returntono1

returntono1 Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    Orlando
    My Pop is 97 years and a Gator grad
    On the GI bill
    Said his first game was in the golden era 1946 a loss to Miami. Went 0-9 that year. Their saying was bye bye Bear The name of the coach.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bovinagator

bovinagator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Vicksburg, MS
    1974 vs Cal, Gators won 21-17. I had a old high school teammate that was playing for the Golden Bears, wanted to see him play. I was 22 then.

• Like Like x 1
  8. StonewallJawkson

StonewallJawkson GC Legend

Aug 10, 2007
    That was a great game. Dickey had promised to change the Gator offense from to the Houston Veer (similar to a passing spread offense) over the off season but he secretly switched to the Wishbone.

This student next to me spent the entire first half saying, "That's not the Veer." In the second half he identified it as the Wishbone.

The whole game was nip and tuck, and I remember coming away feeling I had seen a really exciting game.

9. UGator

UGator Junior

Nov 7, 2012
    How about 1957 against Auburn, the eventual national champion, and the score was something like 14-5. I was 14 and many males were wearing coat and tie. The seating capacity was like 30-40 thousand and I was hooked on the Gators ever since.

10. col_kurtz

col_kurtz GC Legend

Oct 8, 2007
    This was my first game as well. 10 years old with my Dad. We camped at Alexander Springs that weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  11. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    Missed that one but went with my dad to the Maryland game in Tampa the following week and watched freshman Tony Green have the game of his life.

12. RayGator

RayGator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland, Florida USA.
    I believe that 1946 was the year we first had “Mr. 2 Bits” begin that great Gator tradition that became so common that we now see it performed by various former Gator players and students and other Gators at every home game at “Florida Field”.

13. stephenpe

stephenpe Recruit

Oct 2, 2016
    I was ten. 1965. Dad gave me two dollars and dropped my friend and I off right by the stadium on the west side. You could still drive by it then. As soon as we hit the pavement a guy gave us free tix and my buddy (very savvy) said to sell them. I think we got $5 each. THEN my friend had a friend selling stuff with an employee ticket so he took us in free. I was hooked. Saw a game and made money. The two dollars dad gave me would buy a gen, admission ticket and a drink. After that my neighbors dad who worked at Tigert as an auditor type person got us a concession at the game to sell sucker bait (we called it, pins pennants hats souvenirs). We got 20% of all the sales. Made good money some games and EVEN HAD an employee ticket to go inside and watch the game. I saw SOS make the kick to beat Aub. I was there when Reaves and Alvarez lit up Houston. For Wilbur against USC. Emmitt, Kerwin against Auburn. We finally quit selling when they built the south endzone and bought seats. Ive probably been to over 200 gator games counting away games and bowl games. Some of my best times were in the late sixties and seventies at Gator Grrowl. The fireworks came up out of the south endzone and were amazing. You could basically sit where you wanted and bring food in. Good times.........great times.............

• Like Like x 5
  14. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Interesting ?...

How many Gator games attended....have to ponder on that.

But I do recall going as a student going into games on the east side carrying a cooler w/ a buddy. It was filled with ice and some cokes. The Jack and rum bottles were in the purses of our dates. Seating was kind of hap hazard in the bleachers, where fraternities sat together. Pledges had to carry out the drunk brothers who had passed out.

One game we were given the student card section, so we had these big cards and were told when we would have to hold up what side. When it came time, we simply flung them to the field. Our idea of rebellion.

Later on, when I sat on the west side, I recall students tossing cup tops, the think plastic lids on the field as well as throwing oranges at the opponents. Many a team had to keep their helmets on when sitting on the bench.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BigSlick

BigSlick GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    Had to be around 1968-69, John Reeves was QB I believe.

• Like Like x 1
  16. papichullogator

papichullogator Recruit

Feb 4, 2019
    In 2012, I was 7, we were playing Louisiana Lafayette. We were losing then, we won on a blocked punt that was returned for a TD by Jelani Jenkins.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. stephenpe

stephenpe Recruit

Oct 2, 2016
    I remember those cup tops. Got to be a tradition of throwing them at the end of the third qtr. They were like mini frisbees. Soon after they began putting a piece of plastic over the top. Lots of fun and real spectacle seeing all those things flying. Sort of like taking the old Gator GRowl program and making airplanes. Once in awhilesomeone would make one good enough to sail out onto the field from sixty rows up. I was always jealous of that aviation genius.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. CadGator

CadGator Junior

Nov 17, 2008
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    1967 Kentucky game.
    Florida 28 UK 12
    I was 8 years old.
    Harmon Wages was the Gator starting QB.

• Like Like x 1
  19. returntono1

returntono1 Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    Orlando
    I am visiting him this week in Tallahassee and he said he remembered Two Bits back in the day.

• Like Like x 1