Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Your All-time "Most Oft Criticized" Team

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gatordavisl, Jun 2, 2019.

1. chargator

chargator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Erv Walker is my pick for “ most productive, most criticized. He was put in some tough, end of shot clock situations that didn’t turn out well ( why he was asked to do that is a whole separate conversation)

I know I always felt really comfortable when he was walking to the stripe, to close a game out. He was mentally as tough a player as we could ask for. He helped us win a ton of close games, but some seem to be remember, his lack and of success in making the shot in those clock shot scenarios. Sort of skews what his value to the team was.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan All American

Mar 17, 2019
    Dude took us to back to back (maybe even a third one) elite 8s.

3. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Back during the 1998-1999 season, I went to the Gator/LSU basketball game in Gainesville. On the way back to Tampa afterwards, I decided to go to a high school basketball jamboree in Belleview so I could see Halton and Casey Sanders. Halton was phenomenal, probably a better college prospect than Dupay. I also was surprised to see Billy Donovan walk into the gym sometime after I arrived. Pretty impressive after he just coached an SEC game a few hours earlier.

4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Brett Nelson says that Ladarius should have taken up boxing.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    That was one of the all-time great Gator shots.

6. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I was there. Halton went for close to 30 something I think. The bigger news was Sanders had something like 19 blocks and set a record for it. I was photographing that game and tried to stay nearby Billy down along the end line for any comments about the players but it was too noisy. Unfortunately it was clear then Sanders had no offensive game.

7. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sanders was wearing a Duke baseball hat before the game, which did not bode well for the Gators chances of getting him. I thought that Sanders was a tremendous prospect considering his athleticism, size and defensive timing. Think Kevarrius Hayes times five. Coach K ruined Sanders, IMO, by keeping a real short bench and not giving Sanders much playing time until late in his career. As for Halton, he had the perfect looking jump shot back then, which deteriorated at Florida likely because of his knee problems.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Great thread.

This is where the recruiting game can hurt these guys.

Was Dan Werner okay? Sure. He was a borderline starter. But he was a 4 star following great players at similar positions. He had high expectations and missed them.

Kasey Hill also fits that bill. He was a 5 star. Those guys are typically 1 and dones. He was good, but definitely underachieved expectations.

Boynton...same thing. Elite recruit, but results didn't match that.