Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Your All-time "Most Oft Criticized" Team

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gatordavisl, Jun 2, 2019.

1. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    I do remember being really excited when the Gators signed Leron Williams Florida Mr. Basketball for 1994. After making the Final 4 and adding him we thought the Gators were going to become a basketball powerhouse but it was not to be as Williams did not live up to the hype and ended up transferring to USC when he couldn't get along with Billy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    My recollection of Nnaji was that he was really smart and a really good student (possibly the brightest student on the team), but he was academically ineligible as a freshman. Go figure that one out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I had Leron on my list but dropped him cause he averaged something like 10 points a game as a sophomore??? before he transferred. Wonder whatever became of Leron.

4. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

Yes, Leath got a lot more "guff" than deserved. And, he turned into a pretty solid player next to Eugene McDowell.

My recollection of Reggie Hannah was that he was an almost-automatic 2 points when he got the ball low on the block. Great touch off the backboard! We could have used that over the last few seasons.

I got on campus in '78, which I believe was after Clarson made the big last-second game-winning shot against LSU. So it was after that that I saw Clarson getting so much taunting from many in the home crowd. I thought it was a reaction to his kind of "golden boy" image (as I saw it) and how he was kind of a Ryan-Seacrest-type emcee talking on the microphone at some of the Gator basketball events back then. I thought the too-cool-for-school types felt the need to bring him down a peg. Pretty ridiculous IMHO. He seemed like a good guy to me despite his somewhat cornball manner that I'm sure appealed more to old-school fans than those crazzzzzy :rolleyes: cutting-edge college kids. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  5. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    If you are talking about a "bad ass" team, I nominate the 87 team with the M & Ms and Dwayne Schintius as a freshman. That was a fun team to watch that did a lot of shenanigans in and out of the court. I really think they would have made it to the final 4 if the Syracuse game was called fairly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Transferred to South Carolina eventually.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Dan's journey through UF from a basketball perspective was so difficult. It's was tough to see him regress with his shooting.

8. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    He did struggle with that to everyone's surprise, but the rest of his game was fundamentally sound. Kind of like an Egor who forgot how to shoot.

Egor, BTW, had great fundamentals. You could show kids video of him playing to teach the game. After they watch the Coach B videos, of course. I loved watching him play.

9. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    PG- Erving Walker- I just remember many being upset with him

SG- Kenny Boynton Jr.- pretty solid player for us, but unfortunately he struggled in the post-season when we needed him the most

SF- Matt Walsh- whew did he take a beating

PF- Dan Werner- yes even I contributed to this. He just always seemed to be involved in several clumsy moments

C- Isaiah Stokes

10. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Erv Walker won so many games for us down the stretch with his clutch foul shooting

Calathes was the closest thing we ever had to Pistol Pete Maravich. The team wasn't very good and there were times where I felt like it was Calathes against 9 guys, including 4 teammates just standing around

• Like Like x 1
  11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Good list. Thanks for actually responding to the original question. :emoji_nerd:

12. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    Walker and Boynton were two of my favorite players (Walker representing for the height-challenged :):):):)) and folks just blamed them for everything on here. I can only imagine how different Walker would be viewed if he had hit the game-winning shot attempt against Butler in regulation after the refs put Butler back in the game.

• Like Like x 2
  13. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007

The refs put Butler back in the game? No that was Boynton and Walker who couldn't handle a 10 point lead with 5 minutes left opting for sloppy turnovers and bad shot selection.

14. bogator

bogator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Fort Myers
    Pre Message Boards, but Dwayne Schintzius was heavily criticized, brought some of it on himself. May he Rest In Peace.

15. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    Thanks for proving my point. lol

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  16. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Facts are facts

17. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    The facts are that you have been forever badmouthing one of the best players in Gator history in Erving Walker.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007

Agree in all but the "one of the best players". There's at least 6 point guards in Gator history that I would take before Walker just off the top of my head

Scotty
    Green
    Williams
    Chiozza
    Moten
    Calathes

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Throw Dan Cross in there too. But if Erv is even the 8th best Gator point guard, then your badmouthing is unwarranted. Scottie might have had the best one season at point guard of any Gator. However, I would take Erv’s career at UF over Scottie’s. I throw out Jason Williams, the most talented of just about anyone who ever played at UF. He wasn’t mature enough or selfless enough to make it through one season at UF. Calathes was really talented, but he wasn’t a complete player and we missed the NCAA tournament the 2 years that Nick was our point guard. Cheese was better than Erv, but through no fault of his own, he only started one year at the point for us. He was great during his last one and a half years at UF. IMO, he should have been a 4 year starter at the point for us. Erv, along with Parsons, carried us to 3 NCAA tournaments and 2 Elite Eights. I would put him behind Cross, Green and Moten, but he is in my top 5 point guards at UF.

20. luvtruthg8r

luvtruthg8r Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I got to know Ladarius Halton about 7-8 years ago. We talked about his knees. They still give him trouble. He also told me that he can barely watch sports because it reminds him of what could have been had the knees not ruined his career. The knee problem was real, and made it impossible for him to play even close to his potential.

• Informative Informative x 2