Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Your All-time "Most Oft Criticized" Team

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gatordavisl, Jun 2, 2019.

1. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    To me there has to be two lists. The first, and to me the only one that makes any sense, was a player who was criticized for not being what we wanted or needed but was genuine in his game. Call it the "All-Unmet-Expectations Team."

So on that list I have:

Dan Werner
    Kasey Hill
    Kenny Boynton
    Erving Walker
    Kevarrius Hayes
    Patric Young (first 3 years)
    And from the bench: Cliff Richards (Chris's evil twin) and Jon Horford. Cliff gets dinged because he wasn't an '04. We were pretty damn arrogant and Jon was NOT his brother.

The other list is the "All-Brainfart Team" whose game didn't match their skills. At least from a Gator perspective:

Christian Drejer - nice player for the European soccer game.
    Chris Walker - just plain not mentally prepared
    Devin Robinson - sometimes very good is NOT good enough
    Mareese Speights - lazy in practice and it showed in endurance
    Chase Johnson - damn the concussions, full steam ahead!
    Jalen Hudson - Could have been and may still be an NBA player
    Keith Stone - a ballerina with a linebacker's body
    and off the bench Mario Boggan - can't be great only after you leave and not make the team.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. jrcg8tor

jrcg8tor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2007
    Always disappointing when you are rolling through a thread wondering how this guy could have been missed and then a few posts from the last one someone drops the name you were going to go with.

I remember about the time I got out of school Florida got a player from NYC, Mike Milligan, that was ambidextrous that was supposed to be a really big recruit. I had visions of the next Bernard King. He never quote measured up. Played 3 years and transferred.

3. jrcg8tor

jrcg8tor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2007
    Ric with no k would have never had a chance to be the hero of that LSU game had Reggie Hannah not had a pair of cement blocks for hands.

4. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Erv?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    He was too short to be a physically dominant PG and not fast enough to be one of those pesky fly types. Call it "not a Kentucky type"

6. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    You are tough!
    He was all time assist leader until passed by chiozza in 2018.
    And he is the#4 all-time scorer in program history.

Erv would get ripped for shot selection and such, but I could never put him on a list of “unmet expectations”.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    Dan Werner-----rooted so much for him to be successful. Thought he was great on the defensive end, but struggled offensively.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Erv was 2nd-team All-SEC 3 years in a row. As for speed, Billy Donovan said that Jason Williams and Erv were the 2 fastest baseline to baseline players to ever play for him.

9. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    Yeah, I was trying to figure out how a slow, 5'8 kid could have the career he had.

10. diamondted13

Jan 1, 2008
    He was pretty damn pesky! Are you thinking of Jai Lucas or someone else?

11. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    Ray Shipman, he was playing the wrong sport

12. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Man, tough crowd. I think there is some romantic remembrance rather than the way it was. Yes, he could have been a pre-KeVaughn Allen in that his ability to take over games was stunted by his mental shortcomings, but I remember a guy who was fearless in taking "that shot" and so I don't see the resemblance.

I won't fight the stats, or the "feel good", about Walker but I do remember that we wanted a guy who would blow past the defense with impunity because he was short and supposedly shifty but I do not remember any games when we were in awe from how he made the other team look like fools. Jason Williams? yep. Erv? I remember a BUNCH of times when the "when is he going to wow us?" discussion was on the forum.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  13. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    2 Elite Eights with Erv at the point. Incredible shot against UCLA in one of them as he bounced off of Josh Smith. One of the better players in Gator history.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. reaves2alvarez

reaves2alvarez All American

Nov 29, 2016
    Dan Werner in a romp. Distant second. Erv running down the clock at the end of the half or game, and shooting a 3 six feet behind the arc.
    Winner. Also Erv for standing around dribbling at the end of halves or games and shooting a 35 foot three for the “win.”:confused:

“Wes Chandler was Percy Harvin before Percy Harvin was born.”

15. reaves2alvarez

reaves2alvarez All American

Nov 29, 2016
    “Cliff” that made me laugh out loud.
    Nat Moore is that really you?

“Wes Chandler was Percy Harvin before Percy Harvin was born.”

16. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    You’re criticism of Erv is actually criticism of Billy Donovan. He’s calling the plays. Plus, how many of those 35 foot shots do you think Erv actually took. I would be surprised if he took more than 5 long shots at end time, maybe 1 or 2 of which were actually 30 feet or more; and a couple of them probably went in.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    For some, unfortunately the criticism continues... :cool:

I'll go against the grain and say (as I have before) that I loved Drejer's game before he quit on us and thought the criticism he received while he was playing was as off-target as it's possible to get. The board constantly criticized (almost to Werner levels) an all-around skilled player who was leading the team in assists, was second in rebounding, and third in scoring. His game against UK, where he was robbed at the end of his 11th assist which would have won the game for us, was a thing of beauty that I'll never forget. People couldn't forgive Drejer for not meeting the expectations that Donovan created by saying he was the best player he had ever recruited. I know that most don't consider assists and rebounding to be very exciting, but I'm also betting Drejer would have looked more like that explosive, high-scoring player everyone wanted to see if he hadn't had the injury and the complications that followed. Even so, I loved the player he still managed to be for us...

...until he left.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. diamondted13

Jan 1, 2008

[​IMG]

19. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Healthy and engaged Drejer was indeed a basketball delight, but it was few and far between. Him leaving was a major low point though during that basketball run.

20. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Ryan Appleby

Criticized but really not Div 1 caliber