Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Your All-time "Most Oft Criticized" Team

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gatordavisl, Jun 2, 2019.

1. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Yes, he got stuck in that role, probably while Tyus had to slide over to center. We were so thin in those days.

2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Dan Werner may have been the most overly dissed player ever on this board compared to what he brought to the game. If that is what you are going for he is #1 all time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I don't want this to devolve into a Werner thread (as you intimate, we've had plenty of those), so I'll just say there's a reason I left him off my list.

4. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Speights was often ripped for being lazy. (Which he was.)

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    That’s who I say, too.
    Distant 2nd:
    Hill.

6. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I agreed until Davis clarified his terms. On criticism alone Werner shouldn't be left off any list. As far as making a solid team of our most criticized players....that changes things. We could have a final 4 worthy team with our most overly criticized players over the past 20 years alone or so

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    I
    I was thinking thet same thing but about Vernon Macklin. Ha.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    How could any list like this be complete without the Danish Daisy who wasn't that good, and then left the team mid-season to go home to play pro bball? Wish I could remember his name. Bash Werner all you want, but he didn't abandon his team mid-season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    Christian Drejer

10. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    YAHTZEE!!!, Thank you.

11. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    How about the kid everyone called a nimrod. He didn't deserve that!

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    My .02 cents
    Dan Werner - most criticized (Billy was right, athletically not an sec player). Lots of criticism from all, mostly unfair IMHO - he tried hard with what he had.

Calathes - Gonna get heat here, but kid was super talented and drove me nuts with his loose passes and lack of composure. Part of that is he only played for us for 2 years and was young. I criticized him more than Werner b/c from my perspective he had more to give.

Kasey Hill - kid simply could not shoot but damn sure tried. Fast but bad hands. Good kid and seemed to work hard but got railed on here.

Speaking of bad hands on Great kids... Kevarrious. Love him but hands of stone. Played undersized, defended hard and did his best with what he had but missed so many bunnies that Elmer Fudd was yelling at him.

Let me throw out 2 names here as talking points the other way: Kevaughn Allen and Jalen Hudson. Both kids got ripped at times for being senior no shows. I am interested why they didn't get ripped more often? Hell, MW benched Hudson and openly called out Allen as a player but fans were mostly just kind of like "they need to show up more. " Both seem great kids, but in some ways it is easier for me to deal with a Werner (doing his best but just not that talented) than a kid who you know should put up at least 15 pts/night no showing repeatedly.

• Like Like x 3
  13. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    What was the knock on tyus? I don't remember him getting criticism for anything other than for his hairline. Dude played hard and was often one of the few bright spots. Its been some time and I don't remember exactly though

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Not to help turn this into probably inevitable Dan Werner thread but the criticism wasn't unfair. And I almost never criticize players in any direct way. Werner peaked as a sophomore and got markedly worse every season before cratering as senior, averaging career worst in every stat while playing the same minutes. He went from 9.1ppg as a sophomore to 4.6 as a senior. It was brutal to watch at the time.

Dan Werner College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    Except that was his name, wasn't it?

16. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Yeah, I didn't include Tyus because I also do not recall him getting ripped that much. He played out of position most of his career and ended up being a pretty darn good player.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Lol.
    That was supposed to be the joke.

18. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    OK, I'll join you. First, he did not "decline markedly" from sophomore to junior year. He went from 9.1 to 8.9 ppg. Second, if you want to remember Werner especially in his senior year, read this:
    Hey Gator fans: Lay off Dan Werner! | Gator Bytes
    "A 6-foot-8, 230-pound forward from New Jersey, Werner was brought to Gainesville to be a spot-up shooter.
    “When we were recruiting Dan we had Joakim Noah, we had Corey Brewer and Marreese Speights. We had a lot of size and we thought (Werner) would be a great complement,” Donovan said. Instead, Noah and Speights and Al Horford left the team. So did Allen Chaney and Eloy Vargas. Kenny Kadji has been hurt for almost his entire Florida tenure. And suddenly Donovan has needed Werner to do more than shoot jump shots. He has needed Werner to defend power forwards and bang underneath the glass; to play out of position for 30 minutes a game, because Donovan literally hasn’t had anyone else.

I'm not saying I wish for the days of watching Werner play, but I do think the criticism of him was unfair given his talent. I think his hoops acumen let him play better early (good sophomore year) but his talent was what it was. And on a team where he was the only senior, it was bad. "Unfair" is obviously a subjective opinion.

20. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    I had drinks with Dan’s dad in Dallas during the final four. Great guy and the family remains huge gators fans.
    At the time, Dan recently had a child, was retiring from hoops and beginning a career as a New Jersey police officer.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3