Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Your All-time "Most Oft Criticized" Team

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gatordavisl, Jun 2, 2019.

1. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    This is a collection of players you may feel sentimental about, but who also took their fair share of criticism here (basketball or otherwise) on the boards. Mine:

PG - Kasey Hill: Great kid, played four years, terrific attitude, tremendous athlete
    SG - Vernon: Deserves the criticism; including him strictly as a great player
    SF - Casey Prather: Didn't get much heat here, but wasn't a great shooter early in his career. Really came on as an athletic difference maker late in his Gator tenure.
    PF - Kevarius Hayes: Should have always been a four. TERRIFIC kid and great defender. Gimme that $&it!
    C - Isaiah Stokes: His chapter is not yet written, but he has outstanding potential. Can't wait to see him rise n shine next season.

Honorable Mention: Erv Walker (PG), Bonnell Colas (C), Marti Kuisma (F), Bret Nelson (G)
    I don't include a particular oft-bashed player here (circa '09) because he never did fulfill his potential. I also ran into him downtown G'ville and will just say I was less than impressed.

The team above would have a hard time stretching the floor in the half-court, but would be a great defensive & transition offense team.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. jmac83

jmac83 GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    Ladarius Halton caught much grief for being a high school superstar, collegiate shrinking violet. A lot of fans thought it was the knee condition, I always believed his confidence was shot apart from the knees.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    I'm curious if your 09 guy is Werner or Calathes? Probably Werner, who took it worse on these boards than any player I can remember.

My starting PG is Calathes. I'll die on the hill of him being incredibly underappreciated.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Any player from the pre-message board era is automatically out of the argument.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Im not necessarily a huge fan of each player on this list, but this is my best team collection of oft-critiqued Gators....

Calathes
    Walker
    Walsh
    Tyus
    Speights

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Werner
    Colas
    Nelson
    Walsh
    Chris Walker

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    In order:

1. Werner - solid player in many ways for us who got waaaaaaay more criticism than deserved. (including the backhanded criticism of him by criticizing Donovan for having to play a player who "didn't belong" in the SEC)
    2. Calathes - great player for us who deserves much better IMO.
    3. Hill - solid playmaker and and defender, who did a lot more for us in crunch time than many gave him credit for
    4. Walker - turned into a pretty good point guard and was always willing to take the crunch-time shot
    5. Boynton - constantly berated for his shooting, which wasn't that bad - and he did so much else for us.

Nembhard is in danger of hitting this list. Gets a lot of criticism despite having the 4th highest single-season assist total in Gator history (and despite an offense-challenged team). Should be okay if the team does as well as hoped next season, but look out if it doesn't (will be similar to Calathes' situation).

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    I'll be buried on that hill with you, man. Calathes had the bad luck of coming on board when the team took a downturn, and because point guards are treated like quarterbacks he was basically blamed for the post-championship doldrums.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    I was going to ask why Vernon Delancey deserved criticism, but then the SG designation cleared it up for me. :cool:

Maybe so, but the Gator home crowds used to be brutal to Ric Clarson for some reason.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Dan Werner.

Thread over.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r All American

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    Bonnell Colas. I know folks always complained about his hand but his teammates NEVER got the ball to him after rolling off a screen and being wide open in the paint more often than not. He played with some very selfish teammates that had me screaming at the TV.

12. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r All American

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    Not after that LSU game. His shot was kind of flat at times.

I always thought Brewster caught it worse.

• Like Like x 1
  13. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Well if the cameras were flipped, folks might have a different view of these players

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Interesting that you include Tyus and Speights. The latter wasn't around long enough to really get high heat. I thought he was a heck of a player anyway. Tyus suffered the "I'm not a center" tragedy more than perhaps any other Gator. He really played tough his senior year on a thin roster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Yeah, but I'm interested in players you think would make a decent team. Guess I didn't specify that in the OP. Would you pick Werner at your three, given some of the other options (ex. James White)?

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    It's not Calathes. ;)

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. fijigator

fijigator GC Legend

Apr 4, 2019
    Two guys who stuck out to me immediately were Kasey Hill and Dan Werner. Both were put in rather unfair situations because they were not only replacing Gator legends (Wilbekin and Noah/Horford) but also legendary teams, and ours fans wanted scapegoats. While I agree they had their struggles and underperformed for four years, underachievers are just part of the game. Doesn't mean that they deserved as much negativity as they received.

PG Kasey Hill - (above)
    SG Anthony Roberson - All I hear when he's mentioned is "we were better without him". This guy was close to getting SEC POY and yet he's not even in the discussion for best Gator PG. I think people rank our players more so based on the team success which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
    SF Matt Walsh - A lot of people were jealous of him and the treatment from rival fans was unmatched by all except Noah. Yes he came off as cocky and had a playmate girlfriend. But I've heard so many say that our team was better off without him. Maybe, maybe not. Doesn't mean that he wasn't a good player for us while the 04s were busy developing.
    PF Chris Walker - Many were upset at him because of him not living up to his star status which in their minds might've costed us another title.
    C Dan Werner - (above)

• Like Like x 1
  18. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Nice list, but I think Werner was what, 6'7"? I think he was more of a three than a center.

19. fijigator

fijigator GC Legend

Apr 4, 2019
    Pretty sure he was at least our PF.

20. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Chris Walker does not make my list (thought I was tempted) because he just didn't perform well enough on the court. Great athletic ability, but not a great athlete.