Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Year 2 Muschamp was close to a national title game

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorMatt06, Jan 9, 2018.

1. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    I think although a lot of us saw Kirby as a big disaster for the SEC-E, it's important to remember perspective.

2012 Muschamp lost one game in-season that cost him the chance to play Bama in the SECCG. And he lost it because of an uncharacteristic 6 turnovers, specifically a Jordan Reed fumble at the Georgia 5 near the end of the game that could have put us in position to tie.

Because of that Georgia won the SEC-E and the rest is history, but win that play and win the SECCG (no small feat but possible - Georgia had a close game with Bama) and Florida is in the national title.

Just some fresh perspective as I saw a lot of Muschamp in Kirby's second half last night. He basically shut down the pass game after Bama scored a FG, and inexplicably ran his power back that wasn't really gaining ground (Chubb 1.4 ypc) vs. his more versatile back (Michel 7 ypc).

Now obviously we've seen the recruiting success with Kirby, but we know that Muschamp got some awesome classes too. The main difference is Kirby is getting better offensive weapons - but overall I think this shows how you can't out-coach Saban using Saban guys. They all do this same stuff but don't have the creativity to throw away the "system" when it's not working like Saban does (throwing in Tua).

Our success or misery against UGA in the near future will probably depend on whether Kirby learned from this or if he just thinks the balls didn't fall his way.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. ApexNC

ApexNC VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Not sure you can compare the two. Feels more like we were close in spite of Muschamp. Georgia was there because of Kirby, IMO. That said, both seasons relied mostly on the previous coach's players (other than Fromm, of course).

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. bigkid12

bigkid12 All American

Sep 18, 2007
    A fluky year with Urban's recuits is what got him there in 2012.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Georgia has a much more balanced roster than we have going forward. I don't think the situations compare nor so i think kirby did more than Richt could have done this year

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    That defense was statistically ridiculous so I wouldn't call it fluky. The only thing fluky about that team was how bad the offense was. Games were only close because of an inept offense. The only loss in-season was due to a 6 turnover egg laid by the offense, and it was still only an 8 point loss.

I will concede that Kirby has a much better offense than Muschamp ever did, so he must not be micromanaging as much.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. bigkid12

bigkid12 All American

Sep 18, 2007
    That's what i'm saying. The defense was stellar because of Urban's recruits. It's fluky to have a offense that bad and have the record they did.

7. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    And that Muschamp team totally lucked out to beat Louisiana Lafayette, and got spanked by Louisville in the Sugar Bowl. UGA went toe to toe with Bama, running an effective offense, something Chump never did.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    We played teams at their low points a lot that year. SC just had a horribly close loss to LSU the week before. It's often not who you play, but when you play them.

9. traubgator

traubgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Most coaches do that, they stop doing what got them the lead, and change their play calling and start staring at the clock. Not relying on the run is what made georgia so difficult to stop. They also were getting a little lucky over and over on 3rd and longs making big play after big play. Bama was in la la land for most of the game on those 3rd downs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    I bet that 2012 Muschamp team would have been in the playoff if there was a four team playoff. We had wins over 4 teams that finished in the top 10 or 11 that year. Probably would have been a 4-seed and got spanked by Alabama.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Yeah there’s no doubt it would have taken some magic to beat Bama (SECCG or playoffs) but I think a lot of people here are rewriting the 2012 season because of the UL loss - I agree it wasn’t the most exciting or dominant team to watch but going 11-1 with that schedule was hard and shouldn’t be ignored just because the wins didn’t look great. The 2006 team looked pretty rough around the edges all year and also lost one game then laid the smack down on the untouchable OSU.

And yeah 2012 was with mostly Urban recruits, but what exactly is Kirby playing with? It’s year 2 for both, most players are from the prior coach and other than pure talent Muschamp inherited a lot of locker crap from Urban.

I’m not saying Muschamp was some genius but I’m trying to put Kirby in a similar lens to understand that he may not be all that some people here seem to think he is.

• Like Like x 1
  12. staticgator

staticgator Senior

Nov 27, 2016
    I don't see any comparison between Smart and Muschamp. Smart can coach both sides of the ball. Fromm can really sling it. His passes look better than some NFL QB's.

13. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    If the point here is that Muschamp was as "close" to winning a national title as Kirby, the answer imho is no. CWM had no offense and lucked into several wins that 11-2 year. Georgia won most games convincingly and was a complete team. Not sure the if the idea was to burnish the CWM turd at UF, but can't be done.

If the point is that KS is like Muschamp in building UGA, again no. While having 2 NFL running backs helps anyone, his QB development and play calling (until the 4th quarter) far exceeded anything CWM ever did. Much as I hate to say it, KS looks to be the real deal.

If the point is that it is hard for Saban disciples to beat saban... well, surprise. It is hard for anybody to beat saban. It takes a complete team with an exceptional player (Watson last year) to beat him. And it takes a coach that is disciplined, bold and imaginative. Tough to beat Saban whether you coached under him or not. I think age, KS and hopefully Mullen are the things that will bring him back to the pack.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Not trying to prop up Muschamp, no argument there. And Kirby has a better offense, but I still think the “real deal” title is premature.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. traubgator

traubgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I agree, the SEC east was a complete joke.
    Notre dame was a huge win, but they were an average team that got throttled by an over hyped miami machine.
    I think it was just perfect timing for the dawgs to step up. Very little injuries and they get throttled by auburn, but get to play them again, after auburn has 2 huge wins in a row with their best player beat up.

The OK win was impressive, no doubt, they showed grit in that game, and thats when I looked at them and said wow. But I still think OK gave that damn game away without that stupid squib kick before half to give the dawgs some confidence.

At the end of the day, they fell short, won the SEC championship but does that really mean anything any more given the era we are in. Bama didn't even win their division, but are national champs.......

• Winner Winner x 2
  16. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Kosovo
    Agree. Let’s not forget what the real Muschamp team looked like against Louisville in the Sugar Bowl.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Seabud

Seabud Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Bingo. KS went toe to toe w/ Saban and won the sec. CWM got his butt whupped by Louisville and never earned a shot at any championship. Ask any fan which one they would prefer- no comparison.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Who bloody cares about The Loser!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. big baller nole

big baller nole Freshman

Nov 23, 2017
    All I know is the 2012 Gators barely missed out on playing for a NC and beat an excellent FSU team in Tally. The QB's that day were sophomore Jeff Driskell (with a bad ankle) vs. Senior EJ Manuel. It was a legacy defining game for Manuel and he came up small, which pretty much defined his career at FSU. Manuel had tons of physical ability but did not have the mental toughness to lead his team to greatness when it counted. Some guys have it, some don't.

But, getting back on topic, the 2012 Gators scared the crap out of me. They were nasty on defense and had a rugged running game. Driskell was huge and ran like a deer. He wasn't a great passer but he was good enough. They had 6 TO's against UGA and barely lost that game. They were that close and I was afraid Muschamp was going to get it going in Gainesville. Instead, things went south for Muschamp and Jimbo was able to win one for FSU in 2013 and seemed to be poised to have FSU near the top for many years then he imploded too.

It is hard to say where UGA goes from here.

If it was a loss of any other way, I might say UGA will be in the hunt for the net decade. UGA utterly dominates a talent rich state in recruiting and that virtually ensures they will be in the NC hunt but this loss was so painful I would not be surprised if they tail spin for a few years. This loss was intensely painful. I'm not sure they just shrug it off. They have too many QB's so that could lead to infighting. You never know. UF could rise up and regain control of the East or, maybe, it is possible, Tenn could. Or, for that matter SoCar could. The East is wide open, I think. Anyone can say that so if I had to call it I'd say the East will be:

1. UGA
    2. UF
    3. SoCar
    4. Tenn

And who cares after that.

• Like Like x 1
  20. upstategator

upstategator Junior

Nov 1, 2017
    Really? He is a good qb but better than pros? Did you watch last night?