Welcome home, fellow Gator

...to the Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ya gotta be proud of these guys. . .

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Jan 10, 2018.

1. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    This team absolutely hit the doldrums, and seemed on a very slippery slope going into the break. They kept poise, stayed together and are now playing pretty darn good basketball.
    Kudos guys!!!

• Agree Agree x 22
    • Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. ncgatorfan

ncgatorfan Member since 1996 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Best home game performance this year .... The experience factor played a big part tonight. Glad to see the improvement and heart to push through adversity.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    They got off to a slow start tonight offensively, except for 3Gor, but I thought their defense was solid even then.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Premium Member

Jun 17, 2007
    The Irish Riviera
    For me I’m enjoying Hayes and Stone develop and buying time for Egbunu.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  5. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Agree.

And I know my man @33hoop likes what he sees! :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The defensive end is much better lately. Still a long way to go to last year's team, but much improved.

• Agree Agree x 7
  7. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    I tend to take losses too hard especially when the team plays below the level that we all know they can play. I am super pleased at the improvement over the last few games especially of Stone and Hayes. Would like to see KA break out of his funk and thought he might gain a little boost from his steal and then hitting the 3 tonight. Can’t wait to see Egbunu back on the floor. Go Gators!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  8. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Yeah... I would like to see us run a few plays early for KA. I noticed Mike ran a set play for him immediately after that transition 3. He got a great look, but it popped out.
    He is an odd combination.... a volume type scorer who is rather passive. Most volume scorers are the proverbial "gunners", but KA plays best when he aggressively hunts his shot and puts a fair amount in the air. But he doesn't do it. He has to be frustrating to coach, because there is so much untapped on a game to game basis.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    Well said. He's really struggled adapting to his new role on this years' team. In his defense, it's been a pretty drastic change. He led the team last year in FG attempts by a wide margin. And, like you said, it wasn't because he was selfish. That team needed him to be a high volume shooter and scorer. He's now 4th on the team in FG attempts. It seems he's decided he'll let the game come to him and deferring a bit too much, especially if other guys get hot. Maybe he is a guy that needs to shoot a lot to get going. If that's the case he needs to look for his shot early and often. On a night like tonight were it was all Egor early on, combine with his foul trouble, he ends up with 3 FG attempts.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    What I most proud of is the defense we saw tonight. Not just a very good night but a night that helped me remember some of CBD better defensive teams. How is that? You could see the defeated look on the MSU players with over 10 minutes to go. They were done. Back with Billy his teams could shut some teams down so that they couldn't score a bucket for 6-7 minutes at times. That happened over and over again. This was a first for this team this year. Hopefully we will start to see it more often in the future.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Yep, seems like Stone and Hayes finally stepped up. Hopefully they keep this up the rest of the way. Everybody can see we are undersized, but there was no excuse for the level of domination our bigs were giving up in the post. I'm sure there will be a game where we get foul trouble or some other issue where an elite big man gets rolling against our undersized line, but at least they have solidified themselves against equal competition. The turnaround is all about effort, they have raised the effort level and it's noticeable.

After that Clemson loss I said we'd need a 4 or 5 game SEC winning streak to even get back in the tourney - and it really seemed like the season could go down the tubes if we didn't get it turned around immediately. Fortunately, that's exactly what the team did. I would have pegged it as 2-2 if I had to predict, I wasn't predicting we'd miss the NIT, but I certainly saw a losing record as a possibility in that moment. That Mizzou road win was really the huge one, the other 3 we really should win. But the way we were going it seemed like nothing was safe. Now the pressure is off slightly, but these guys still cant afford letdowns. Would be nice to pick off the next 2, to really have zero pressure going to Rupp.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. luvtruthg8r

luvtruthg8r Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irrespective of the obvious issues this team has, I never for one moment thought that a team with this much offensive talent would have a losing record.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. ncbullgator

ncbullgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Coach screamed at him to shoot the ball.

Good win.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    KA is unselfish to a fault, game after game the coaches have exhorted him to put up shots, I know they are frustrated just like most of us fans are.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Funny enough, I looked this morning for Clemson on KenPom. #14, 14-1. Gonzaga is #7. Cincinnati is #8.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator with bulletproof posts! Moderator VIP Member

Great coaching job...and welcome to the scene Keith Stone.

• Like Like x 3
  17. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Got to love the evolution of the team. Seems to be continual improvement as a whole.
    Again, bolsters my confidence in the coaching staff.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. tussgator

tussgator Junior

Jan 9, 2018
    Gainesville
    I was a little worried going in to the game looking at MSU being 13-2. After the game I was wondering how the heck is this team 13-2, we made them look like a high school team. Good job Gators, that was a fun game to watch.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. harnettgator

harnettgator Moderator VIP Member

Nov 25, 2013
    But you're loving CMW's outfits right? :p
    I kid. I kid. We're gonna get you on board the CMW Love Train sooner or later 33!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    As silly as it sounds, I think the losing streak was good for this team. They were on a ridiculous roll, catapulted to #5 and nothing was stopping them. That can lead to complacency. Losing a few gave them a jolt of reality and appears to have taught them they have to work their butts off to improve. Let's hope they stay focused and keep improving.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1