Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

XFL

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Aug 21, 2019.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Interesting. I saw fangs in the yellow portion because the intro vid went straight from an open mouthed strike to the logo...but I see what you are saying.

I also felt fangs fit the promo as well:
    “Their bite, unavoidable. Their grip, inescapable. They slither and stalk their competition. Luring all who challenge them, into the jaws of defeat. The Tampa Bay Vipers. Ready to strike.”

Now if by chance they were trying to incorporate both than I would give them some credit because I can actually see both when given a second look.

Perhaps it is better than I credited them for, because a good logo can make you look twice and see different things.

2. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Hard to say. Based on the other designs, I don't see anything that leads me to believe their design concepts are that "deep". But maybe because the logo itself was so simple and 2 dimensional, they felt like they had to add something to it. My guess is it's dumb luck.

But even if that was the intent, I'm not sure I'd say they did a very strong execution of the concept.

I still think the Houston Texans logo is one of the best in all of sports in terms of combining a simple and clean design, with dimension, in combining the imagery of the bull and Texas state flag. All while incorporating the star, which is the logo of their biggest rival.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

My favorite sports logos of all time include the Hartford Whalers the old Brewers logo. Oddly, I am actually a fan of the all black simplicity of the new Brooklyn Nets stuff too.

4. biggynugs

biggynugs GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, fl
    E
    Every year, another also league, every year another unfinished season

5. atlantagator86

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    The Brewers logo with the M and B making the glove is a CLASSIC. I never understood why they went away from that. Nice to see that it's still a fan favorite. You see way more fans wearing that logo in the stands than the new one.

[​IMG]

The Whaler's logo was good with the negative space H, but not as clever to me to the sport as the Brewers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Gator_druid

Gator_druid All American

Oct 20, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Totally agree about the logo design. All the tweets look like they have the same format and basic message. Could have all been done by the same person or group. Very corporate.

My take is that McMahon will throw a lot of money at this but will have a hard time competing with the NFL machine for good players. The AAF had the right strategy but not enough funding.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Vince should make kayfabe part of his football as well as his wrestling. Make it about personalities and fix the outcomes of the games (the NFL already does that).

[​IMG]

8. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
  9. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    I actually like the WarHawks logo. Seems simple and yet elegant

10. SuperMOM

SuperMOM All American

Jan 31, 2016
    The Dallas logo looks like the Arizona Outlaws (USFL) logo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. g8rtrucker

g8rtrucker VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    LA should be the Tremors or the Aftershocks or the Tar Pits.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member

Can they design a logo for the Aftershocks... something that shows California floating halfway to Hawaii? :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    Let me remnd that the USFL wasnt doing too badly if not for that lawsuit attempt. Tampa Bay had 40000 plus at home games and it was fun! They tried too hard to be an equal to the NFL too fast.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. thenazz

thenazz Junior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    The Alliance delivered some entertaining matches and benefited from a game-changing idea or two. Too bad it was mismanaged or whatever had happened. ... The USFL was cool and we all know how much of that spilled over to the big show. Spurrier in both leagues. I wasn't a fan of the old XFL outside of He Hate Me. If Booger isn't on the mic, I might try the new league.

15. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

I would have liked it if they used names that rung true to the WWE:

Washing DC Undertakers
    Not Your Tampa Bay Bucs
    Stone Cold Houston Rattle Snakes

16. atlantagator86

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I really thought that after the way the AAF failed SO quickly, not even making it through one single season, and with the AAF teams in NFL cities being what pulled the league down, that the XFL might make some changes to their model.

But so far, this looks like a total reboot of the failed AAF model.