Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

XFL: Tampa Bay Vipers vs NY Guardians 2PM ET Fox

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GratefulGator, Feb 9, 2020.

1. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    That's why you will never see it in college football. Or in the NFL. The XFL is obviously too young to have any vested interests in rigging games. It took years for the college game and the NFL to develop the kind of corruption they enjoy today.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  2. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    It's beyond me how some people can not enjoy the NFL where the best football players in the world suit up, yet enjoy 3rd rate (at best) football with inferior players. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Quite possibly ....
    Because not only the college season is over...but...the NFL season is also over....So...

At least there's an alternative....
    The Daytona 500 iis happenimg 5 blocks from me in just over another week...but...

Aside from that, and the Gators Softball, etc...
    At least there's SOME football.

If it doesn't float your boat....just fine...but..hey,
    At least there's some form of entertainment out there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. thenazz

thenazz Junior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    Too bad last year's league didn't make it. Some good games. Watched the L.A.-Houston game on Saturday and it had its moments. Good QB for Houston. The broadcast was OK. I do feel like this XFL season started too early, though.

5. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

We'll see...
    I somehow think that FOX and the Disney boys (ABC...ESPN) will find a way to market this...seeing how they just fiinalized a two year deal with the XFL

6. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    I'm specifically referring to those who turn their noses up at the NFL, yet will watch this.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. FearNoSpear

FearNoSpear GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Ocala
    They're all Disney boys now after Disney purchased FOX. I enjoyed it. Tampa stinks but I enjoyed watching football this weekend. I watched 2 games and like the product better than the AAFL. I do wish Spurrier was in this league instead of the defunct one. Fans in Florida wont watch such an inept offense like the one Tampa put out yesterday. I'm not a good gauge of the average viewer though. I was a loyal fan of the Orlando Predators from '91-'16. I watched the World Football league and the Orlando Thunder. I also like the NFL Europe League. It's hard for me to get into the CFL but I do watch the Grey Cup. It looks like football but the lack of running game and wider fields changes too many nuances for me. Sort of like Australian Rules Football and Rugby. Love rugby but couldnt care less about Aussie Rules Football. I will watch all of the Tampa games until the league runs it's course. Yay sports.

8. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    ...until Vanderbilt beats our baseball team...again. :oops:

[​IMG]

9. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Looks like all 4 XFL games drew between 17.1 and 17.7K in attendance (which seems kind of suspect in itself). That's not a particularly good sign. AAF drew an average week 1 attendance of over 19K. Attendance will likely be lower in week 2.

Week 1 TV ratings were a little better where the XFL had TV viewership peak at about 4 million viewers versus the AAF's 2.9 million viewers. The numbers are higher but I think that's largely because the TV package is stronger and unlike CBS, who showed the first AAF game, and Fox and ABC did a little bit of promotion.

In my opinion, it looks like the initial general interest in the XFL is pretty comparable to the AAF and will more than likely decline in the next several weeks, just like the AAF. The difference being that the AAF was propped up by the non-NFL football markets or Orlando and San Antonio, while the NFL markets, like the XFL chose, were the poor performers.

The question will be how much money they'll continue to pump into the league to keep it afloat if attendance drops closer to 10K and TV ratings are under 2.0. I'd be willing to bet that just of principle, it makes it at least through the first full season.

10. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Yeah, the problem is the Tampa Bay team appears to be horrible.

11. WhattaGator

Which is kinda' the point I was making.....

Pretty much nobody watches the NFL... partly because how stupid the game has become, with some "rules", that's made it the "No Fun League", and some of the showboating, strange callls and non-calls on plays, etc....
    Also, College football season is basically happening at the samre time, (yeah, a different day, but hey, we play first every weekend)...and most of us would much rather watch a college game, (especially those Gators games!)....

So, now...here's a new football league that provides us with more football...
    I'm pretty sure that, with the two year deal that has FOX, ABC, ESPN, and FS1 committed to carry the league, the Disney Boys will find a way to market the league, and give it a lot more airtime and promotion.

So, we'll see how the league plays out...some of the rules might end up being very interesting as the players get more accustomed to actual competitive play.

12. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    The same could be said about the entire league, imho.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. WhattaGator

Although Tampa Bay looked horribe....once they bench Aaron Murray, and put Quinton Flowers in the QB spot....I think there will be a huge improvement there....

Plus, these teams are gonna need a few weeks of actual competitive play to develop on the new rules, find the better players on the teams, etc.

14. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    "well that's certainly not a catch but we've got a lot of cash riding on this game so...CATCH"