Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

XFL: Tampa Bay Vipers at Seattle Dragons 5PM ET FOX

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Gator Mike, Feb 15, 2020.

1. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014

Like I said in another thread last week I tried to watch first game. Watched a good deal of first game (75-80 percent) and was awful. Jacked to root for TB as I was a huge Apollos guy but the product was nowhere close.

So, I did watch it’s just that I don’t need 2-3 games to decide. No way I was watching an offensive explosion of almost double digit points in the second game. Watched one (first game) and chose to not watch the next.....
    Chose to support our Gators at baseball game. For little bit I was around home didn’t turn Vipers on even for a second.

The better part of one whole game showed me and told me what I needed to know. I guess you can sense of disappointment in my voice because I love to root for our local teams especially when they have our Gator guys on the team. Murray an bad bad choice for QB. A retired Doug Johnson could give more and that’s saying something.
    Let me know when they score double digits in a game and I’ll turn it back on. I think they scored 9 yesterday.
    Better yet, let me know when they hire SOS.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    Nothing against the XFL, but with Gator basketball, softball, baseball, gymnastics and LX, plus 6 grandchildren, I don't have time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Gator Mike

Gator Mike GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    To be fair... most of the AAF teams were pretty bad the first few weeks, but started to improve around Week 4 or 5. The Apollos and SOS were a notable exception.

The Vipers actually started to move the ball late. They drove to the Seattle one yard line before they stalled and then messed up the field goal attempt. And their last drive was pretty encouraging other than the OPI that killed the potential game-tying TD.

It felt like things were starting to just beginning click for them to some degree. And both Cornelius and Flowers I thought were both an improvement over Aaron Murray.

It can't be easy to play offense on a team where literally every player is new to the system.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

You're right.....

The entire leqgue sucks... the GM sucks, the Coaches suck, and all of the players....wel....they all suck.. .and....the concessionaires suck
    Let's just stomp tthe whole thing into the ground....tell ESPN and FOX to reprogram, and fill those open time slots!:)

Just sayin' for a friend. :):D

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville, Fl
    I watched the highlights from yesterday. I like it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Anchors Aweigh Moderator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    Former Navy QB Keenan Reynolds catches 68 yard TD pass.

• Like Like x 3
  7. GatorHighlights

GatorHighlights GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2009
    Somewhat off topic but I went to the Defenders Guardians game yesterday. The crowd seemed a lot thinner than the first game (which I didn’t go to) and it didn’t help that it was like 35 degrees. Although it was fun I’m not sure I’d go again unless it was warm and I was down in that area for a Nationals game afterwards or something. Frankly I’m not sure this thing has much more legs than the AFL. A little more but not much more.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    To be fair, I turned on the Dallas and Los Angeles game and attempted to watch for a while… No points scored in 1st quarter and I decided to turn it off. Just need a little excitement. Your a good dude so this will be my last post on the XFL unless I have something positive to say.

9. raygravesghost

raygravesghost All American

Aug 13, 2019
    FWIW...I like it
    Surprised actually at the quality level Week 1...higher than expected

BTW - Every NFL & lots of college games aren't worth watching either

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce All American

Nov 21, 2018
    Yep...even ones about how awesome Willllie is and how is boys are really going to play hard for him.
    Granted, some opinions are .ore valuable then others, but that is for each individual to decide.

11. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    It'll most likely share the same fate.

12. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I watched a portion of my first XFL game yesterday. I think it was LA playing. I like the rules for the kickoffs. Don't care to listed to the QB and coaches. And the sideline reporters look like complete idiots with their in-game questions to players.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    XFL offenses appear severely lacking.

14. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Is it that they have not practiced together and that some of these players were not really in football shape?

15. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    I guess that could be a factor. All I know is that in the few games I have watched, no one on either side could generate many plays over five yards, and no one seemed to be able to punch it in from the redzone either.

16. raygravesghost

Aug 13, 2019
    The entire league is owned by Vince McMahon...no individual team owners
    They held a league wide single training camp Houston in January (4th - 22nd) and started play in Feb 2020

I don't think its much of a surprise that offensive play is suffering since these guys have only been teammates for a month

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    They went with third rate QBs in most cases. They avoided headaches or head cases. They don’t pay enough to attract good QBs to the league. The Defensive play is superior at this point in time. Perhaps with more practice time the offenses will catch up. Washington looks like one of best teams early.

18. raygravesghost

Aug 13, 2019
    Tim Tebow has “some communication” with XFL, but he decided to stick with baseball

[T]hey’ve called a lot,” Tebow said on Sunday, February 17, 2019. “Coach Spurrier keeps calling and I love coach Spurrier. It was easy even though it was an awesome offer. . . . I’m all-in on baseball and no way could I stop and not give this a chance after everything that I’ve worked for.”

Tebow last played in a regular-season football game in 2012, only one season after Tebowmania took the NFL by storm. Following one season with the Jets, however, the 2010 first-round pick of the Broncos never managed to make a 53-man roster, despite opportunities with the Eagles and Patriots. He turned to baseball in 2016, after opting not to pursue the CFL or any other non-NFL football league.

It’s unclear what the XFL offered Tebow, but his quote that “it was pretty clear that this was” before pivoting in a different direction suggests that the XFL wasn’t willing to deviate from a no-frills financial structure that makes no exceptions for big-name players. Which has left the XFL with precious few, if any, big-name players. And with not nearly enough quality quarterbacks.

Of course, none of this means that Tebow would amount to a quality quarterback, in the XFL or anywhere. But he would drive plenty of interest and ticket sales and jersey sales and attention for an upstart league that very soon will be struggling to draw attention away from the Scouting Combine and NCAA basketball conference tournaments and NFL free agency and March Madness and other sporting events around which fans plan their schedules.

19. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    ... well, there is/was Callaway.